peas pulao recipe with video and step by step photos – this tasty matar pulao is simple and easy to prepare pulao recipe.
the peas pulao is aromatic and has sweet tones because of peas or matar. this pulao can be made with fresh or frozen peas. for best results, i would suggest you to use good quality fresh matar or peas for this recipe. frozen peas loose their flavor and taste over a period of time and so their flavors don’t come through in this rice pulao. i prefer to use fresh matar to make this pulao or for other green peas recipes like:
this matar pulao is often made in punjabi homes. i too make matar pulao regularly at home and have learnt this recipe from my mil. as a variation, some people also add potatoes in this pulao. after cooking, the rice grains should be separate and the peas pulao should not look mushy.
i usually pressure cook the green peas pulao, but you can cook the pulao in a pot. if cooking in a pot, then the water quantity should be increased a bit. measurements are given in the recipe details and step by step pics below.
you can serve green peas pulav with curd or onion tomato raita, onion rings, kachumber, papad and pickle.
few more tasty pulao varieties you can check are:
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for matar pulao
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice
- ¾ cup matar (peas) - preferably fresh or frozen
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking OR 2 to 2.5 cups water for cooking in a pot
- salt as required
whole spices for matar pulao
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 or 2 green cardamom (hari elaichi or chotti elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 or 2 single strands of mace (jayitri or javitri)
- 1 medium bay leaf (indian bay leaf) - optional
how to make peas pulao
preparation for peas pulao recipe
- wash the basmati rice till the water runs clear.
soak the rice for 30 minutes.
drain and keep aside.
making peas pulao
- heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker or in a pot.
- add the cumin seeds along with all the whole spices.
- saute till the spices release their aroma and become fragrant.
- then add the sliced onions. stir and saute till the onions are golden or caramelized.
- do not burn the onions as this will lead to bitter taste in the pulao.
add the matar (green peas) and saute for a minute.
- now add the drained rice and stir gently.
saute for a minute. add water and salt. stir.
cover and pressure cook matar pulao for 2 whistles on a high flame.
let the pressure settle down on its own and then open the lid of the cooker.
- gently fluff the rice and serve peas pulao hot with onion-tomato raita or green chutney.
how to make matar pulao in a pot or pan
- follow the above recipe till step 8 (or till we add water and salt).
- then cover the pot tightly with a lid and cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice grains are cooked.
- check the rice whilst they are cooking. if all the water has been absorbed and the rice grains have not cooked completely, then just add a few tbsps of water. cover and cook the rice for a few minutes.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - peas pulao on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make peas pulao or matar pulao
1. wash 1 cup heaped basmati rice till the water runs clear. soak the rice for 30 minutes. drain and keep aside.
2. heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a pressure cooker or in a pot. add the following spices – 1 inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, 1 or 2 green cardamoms, 2 to 3 cloves, 1 to 2 single strand of of mace, 1 medium bay leaf and 1 tsp cumin seeds. saute till the spices release their aroma and become fragrant.
3. then add ½ cup thinly sliced onions.
4. stir. saute till the onions get golden or caramelized. do not burn the onions as this will lead to a bitter taste in the pulao.
5. add the ¾ cup matar (green peas).
6. stir well and saute for a minute.
7. now add the drained rice and stir gently.
8. saute for a minute.
9. then add 1.75 cups water.
10. season with salt. stir well.
cooking peas pulao
11. cover and pressure cook peas pulao for 2 whistles on a medium to high flame or for 10 to 12 minutes.
if cooking peas pulao in a pot or pan, then add 2 to 2.5 cups water. cover the pot tightly with a lid and cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice grains are cooked. also check the rice whilst they are cooking. if all the water has been absorbed and the rice grains have not cooked completely, then just add a few more tablespoons of water. cover and cook the rice for a few minutes.
12. let the pressure settle down on its own and then open the lid of the cooker. gently fluff the rice and serve matar pulao hot with tomato onion raita or boondi ka raita.