It is extremely essential to include probiotics too in your everyday meals. One of the easiest ways to do so is to have Curd (Dahi or Yogurt regularly. On the blog you can find some of the popular Indian Curd Recipes that make use of Curd. Apart from this, I am sharing the recipe of a simple and nutritious Hung Curd Sandwich or Dahi Sandwich in this post. This quick Greek Yogurt Sandwich has a spiced curd-veggie filling which makes it absolutely yummy.
Table of Contents
For The Love Of Sandwich
Everyone, be it young or old, gender no bias, loves a sandwich. You go anywhere in the world; sandwiches are one of the most popular snacks that are sold on streets to the most avant garde restaurants anybody can dream of. Such is the popularity. A sandwich is easy to prepare, thus makes for a quick grab on the go!
There are countless edible things that you can stuff between breads of different kinds and make the most scrumptious sandwiches. Cuisines from across the word have their own versions, which are equally delicious. You can’t go wrong with a sandwich ever, can you!? Grilled, toasted, plain, cold – sandwiches are super in every way.
If there’s one dish that has die hard fans across the world, it is the sandwich. There may be others, but this versatile snack wins hands down. According to research, it is said that over 18000 sandwiches are consumed by an average person in their life! And why not? The many layers in a sandwich are simply layers of love!
Just like this Yogurt Sandwich, which I’d like to always call as the Curd Sandwich or even a raita sandwich. Since the stuffing in this Dahi Sandwich is a lot like a vegetable raita with curd being the base. It’s a convenient, comforting and mess-free snack/brunch option for hungry kids and adults alike.
About Curd Sandwich
As I said, it is not rocket science to make any sandwich. You just got to understand flavor profiles that result from pairing various ingredients. Same goes for this Curd Sandwich too. Just follow the guideline that I’m sharing here and make this lovely Dahi Sandwich whenever you want.
- Thick curd, Greek yogurt or hung curd – use any of these to make the filling.
- Vegetables that I have used for the stuffing are capsicum, carrot, cabbage, spring onions/onion and steamed corn kernels. You can add boiled potatoes, green peas and lettuce too. Cabbage can be blanched and added.
- Since this Greek Yogurt Sandwich is more international and less spicy, the seasonings are just mixed herbs, black pepper and some red chili flakes. You can Indianize the recipe by adding herbs and spices like coriander or mint leaves, green chilies, red chili powder, garam masala powder and chaat masala.
- The bread can be white, whole wheat, brown or multigrain.
- My family and I like these sandwiches grilled. But these are equally yum if had plain. You can even toast the bread slices separately and then stuff the curd-vegetable mixture between them.
- How to serve? Just as is or accompanied with potato chips, banana wafers or dip of your liking.
How to make Curd Sandwich
Make Curd and Vegetable Stuffing
1. Firstly, rinse and finely chop or grate the vegetables in a food chopper, food processor or with a knife. You will need:
- ¼ cup finely chopped or grated cabbage
- ¼ cup tightly packed finely chopped or grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped capsicum
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions or onions
- ¼ cup boiled or steamed corn kernels
You can skip corn if you want. You can also add boiled green peas and boiled potatoes.
2. Add ⅓ cup thick curd, Greek yogurt or hung curd.
3. Season with ⅓ teaspoon black pepper powder or you can add as per taste.
Also, add some dried herbs like oregano, thyme, basil or mixed herbs, red chili flakes and salt as required.
You can also add chopped green chilies, instead of red chili flakes.
4. Mix very well.
Make Hung Curd Sandwich
5. Here I have grilled the sandwiches. If you prefer not to grill or toast them, then do either of the following:
- Toast the bread separately in a skillet/frying pan or toaster or in the oven. Spread butter on the toasted bread followed by topping with the yogurt and veggie filling.
- Opt not to toast the bread and simply make the sandwiches with the vegetable curd filling.
To toast the sandwiches in a panini press or a sandwich maker, follow the steps as mentioned below.
Take the bread slices, spread some butter on them and add generous quantity of the prepared stuffing on half of the bread slices.
I have used whole wheat bread. You can use any bread of your choice like brown bread, whole wheat bread, white bread or sandwich bread.
6. Cover with the remaining buttered bread slices.
7. Place the sandwiches in a preheated sandwich maker.
8. Grill the sandwiches till crisp and golden.
9. Serve Curd Sandwich hot or warm, plain or with any dip or sauce of your choice. Remember to serve them straightaway as soon as they are made.
How to prepare Hung Curd
If you wish to make this Yogurt Sandwich with hung curd, and don’t really have an idea on how to make the hung curd at home, follow these steps. Again, this is an easy procedure provided you follow it to the T.
- Begin by lining a bowl with a mesh strainer. Then, line the mesh strainer with a muslin cloth/cheese cloth or cotton kitchen napkin.
- Add the fresh curd or yogurt, take the edges of the cloth together and tie into a tight knot.
- Start pressing gently to drip the whey from the curd.
- Next, place a heavy lid, bowl or tray on the tied muslin.
- Refrigerate this entire set-up overnight or for 4 to 5 hours. Once done, a creamy hung curd or greek yogurt is what you will get.
- Use it to make this Dahi Sandwich or refrigerate to use later.
For exact numbers, measurements and more tips on hung curd, check the detailed method on this Hung Curd post.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Curd Sandwich | Greek Yogurt Sandwich (Dahi Sandwich)
- ¼ cup finely chopped cabbage
- ¼ cup grated carrots – tightly packed
- ¼ cup corn kernels – boiled or steamed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped capsicum (bell pepper) – can use green or red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions or onions
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt or thick curd or hung curd – 90 grams
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper or add as required
- oregano , thyme, basil or mixed herbs, add as required
- red chili flakes or finely chopped green chilies, add as required
- salt as required
- butter as required
- 8 to 10 bread slices whole wheat or brown or multigrain or white bread
- First rinse and finely chop the veggies in a food chopper or a food processor or with a knife.
- Take the shredded or finely chopped veggies in a bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup greek yogurt or thick curd or hung curd.
- Season with ⅓ teaspoon black pepper or you can add as per taste. Also add some dried herbs like oregano, thyme or basil or mixed herbs, red chili flakes and salt as required.
- You can also add chopped green chilies, instead of red chili flakes.
- Mix very well.
Making curd sandwich
- Take the bread slices and spread some butter on them.
- Cover with the remaining buttered bread slices.
- Place the sandwiches in a preheated sandwich maker.
- Grill till crisp and golden.
- Remove and serve curd sandwich hot or warm plain or with any dip or sauce of your choice.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Hung Curd Sandwich recipe post from the blog archives first published in January 2017 has been republished and updated on 3 August 2022.