the rains….. cool weather…. green everywhere….. a cup of tea and some hot grilled/toast sandwich… so who makes the tea and the sandwich? of course you….. otherwise you wouldn’t be seeing this page…
so what stuffing goes in the sandwich? lets experiment…. by adding some corn, basil, oregano, pepper, chili flakes to the sandwich along with cheese……… oh yes…. i had some olives too… but i forgot to add them….. and no butter has been added to the sandwich. instead we have used olive oil…. isn’t that interesting and innovating? you can also cut down on cheese if you want and make the sandwich without cheese.
i had seen the corn chili cheese toast recipe on maria’s website – www.flavorsofmumbai.com. on seeing the corn chili toast recipe on her website, i knew i had to make this one. the pics looked so yummy. and a few days later i got fresh tender corn easily here. so had to buy them to make these amazing grilled sandwich. monsoon is the season of fresh corn in india and we get them easily this part of the year. so more corn recipes on the way.
in her recipe, maria has made the sandwich in indian style. if you wanna make indian style, then straight away head to her recipe post.
i wanted to make a more italian style sandwich, so i have modified the ingredients to make it the italian way. thanks to maria for her awesome recipe. i am sure many sandwich lovers will like this recipe.
i have used fresh corn, but you can use tinned corn too. you could also add different types of cheese in the sandwich. i have a hand toaster that is kept on fire and the sandwich is toasted/grilled. you could also use a sandwich toaster or grill the sandwiches in oven.
different herbs and spices can be used to make this corn cheese toast sandwich. and you could always experiment. this is again a step by step recipe.
corn cheese toast: serves 4
preparation time: 30 mins
cooking time: 3 mins
total time: 33 mins
ingredients for making corn cheese toast:
- 1 corn cob
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 cheese slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano/mixed herbs or italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 3 cups water to boil the corn cob
method for making corn cheese toast:
- you see in india, we buy the corn with its leaves tightly wrapped around. you have to remove the leaves by hand and discard them.
- a tender golden yellow corn cob is wrapped inside its leaves and once the leaves are removed you get to see the corn cob in all its wonder.
- heat water with some salt added to it and boil the corn cob for about 15-20 minutes. you could also pressure cook the corn cob….. beautifully golden….
- once the corn cob is cooled or still warm, remove the corn kernels with the a knife. just scrape the corn kernels from the cob with the help of a knife in a bowl.
- add all the dry ingredients to the corn. just for the picture’s sake i added little of the basil.
- lo… below i have added all the basil and you can see the leaves are glossy… thats coz i added the 2 tbsp olive oil to it.
- mix everything well and keep aside. doesn’t it look wonderful. if you are too lazy you could just stop the process here and straight away have the corn. its too good. in fact i had a small spoon and it was tasting like the corn one gets in malls and movie theatres.
- drizzle or spray some olive oil on one side of the bread. keep this side touching the metallic part of the toaster.
- again spray some or drizzle some olive oil on the side of the bread facing you. put a slice of cheese on this side. top the cheese slice with the corn mixture.
- cover it with another cheese slice and a slice of bread.
- grill the corn cheese sandwich till done.
- serve the hot corn cheese toast with tomato sauce or some cheesy dip.
You might love to check few more interesting Recipes:
- Sweet Corn Cutlet
- Corn Spinach Recipe
- Guacamole Toast Sandwich
- Bombay Veg Toast Sandwich
- Chaat Style Aloo Toast Sandwich
corn cheese toast recipe details are below: