grilled cheese sandwich recipe with step by step photos – as simple as it gets… a really quick and easy to make grilled cheese sandwich.
this is one of hubby’s favorite breakfast and it does not take much time to make these sandwiches. just use a good fresh loaf of bread or even a day old (either whole wheat or multi grain or oats for a healthier option). if using homemade bread, then don’t slice the bread thickly or thinly.
an important point is also to use a cheese which melts when grilled. basically we are looking for a crisp golden exterior with a smooth melted cheese within. i generally use cheddar cheese to make these sandwiches. you can use regular cheese or even mozzarella cheese or a mix of cheddar and mozzarella. also since the hubby does not like the taste of cheese slices, i always use a block of cheddar cheese, which i then grate and add to the bread.
the butter has to be applied evenly and on the whole slice of the bread. i always use salted butter at room temperature and not melted butter. a generous amount of butter not only adds a lot of flavor and taste but also helps the bread slices to grill and brown evenly.
these grilled cheese sandwiches are spiced with indian spices – roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and freshly crushed black pepper powder. i don’t add salt as the butter and cheese already contains salt. if using unsalted butter, then you can sprinkle some salt.
instead of grilling the sandwiches you can also toast the sandwiches in an electric toaster or a hand held stove top toaster. you can also check this bombay style vegetable cheese toast sandwich recipe.
lets start step by step grilled cheese sandwich recipe:
1. spread butter on all the bread slices. cover the whole surface with the butter. you can slice of the edges if you prefer.
2.top half of the slices with grated cheese. sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches each of roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder and black pepper on the grated cheese in each slice.
3. cover the cheese topped slices with the remaining buttered slices and spread butter on the top of the slices.
4. in a pre heated grill, place the sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down, making sure your hands don’t touch the grill (be careful when doing this. if you cannot do this then just skip the above step. instead spread butter once the sandwiches are grilled). now spread butter on the top side which is facing you.
5. grill for 2-3 minutes till the sandwiches are crisp and golden.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check sesame veg toast, cheese chilli toast, aloo masala grilled sandwich, chana masala toast sandwich, aloo toast sandwich, bread pizza and bombay vegetable grilled sandwich.
grilled cheese sandwich recipe below:
- first grate the cheese and keep aside. then spread butter on each slice.
- top half of the bread slices with grated cheese.
- sprinkle two to three pinches of black pepper powder, cumin powder and chaat masala on each slice which is topped with grated cheese.
- cover the cheese topped slices with the remaining buttered breads.
- spread butter on top of each slice.
- on a heated grill place the sandwich carefully with the buttered side facing down.
- spread butter on the top slices. close the grill sandwich maker and grill for 2-3 minutes till the sandwiches are crisp and golden.
- serve grilled cheese sandwich hot, plain or accompanied with green chutney or tomato ketchup.