banana bread – eggless and vegan recipe. so far this is the best banana bread that i have made and this is a tried and tested bread recipe and all time favorite recipe at home and one of the most popular bread recipe in the blog. based on this recipe, i have also made eggless banana cake posted on the blog.
ever since i starting getting requests to make an eggless version of banana bread, i tried many times to make the best eggless banana bread…. atleast 6 times
i made eggless versions as well vegan versions and somehow i was never satisfied with the texture of the breads. more so coz i was using whole wheat flour.
since i have had the banana bread made with eggs before, i know the texture and taste of breads & cakes made with eggs. i have been having regular cakes and pastries made with eggs till last year until i stopped adding them to my bakes.
making an eggless or vegan cake or a bread is a challenge always, as one wants the best texture and taste in the bread.
i added vinegar, buttermilk, cornflour and what not and never came to that perfect bread. most of the times the bread would be dry and not even moist. it would not be soft but a bit dense. and also crumbly at times.
so one day finally, i decided that i will make the bread without using any of these ingredients and with what is easily available in my kitchen. let me see what is the result.
i thought that if pureed banana is used as an egg substitute in cakes, than why do i need to add some other egg substitute to a banana bread??? so i decided only to add bananas – a little extra and see the results.
so in this vegan banana bread recipe, the two ingredients which contributes majorly to the texture of the banana bread is of course bananas & oil.
i have used coconut oil, but the bread would turn out wonderfully even with an olive or sunflower oil.
i have not added any other ingredient besides the usual bread ingredients in this banana bread. i had flaxseed but still i wanted to make a bread without flaxseed powder as many of us do not have these readily available in their kitchens.
so this is far by the best banana bread that i have made and this recipe is for keeps. one of my baking success recipe. the bread was light, soft, moist and perfect for an eggless or vegan bread.
i have added sunflower seeds in the bread to make it more nutritious but you can easily skip adding them. i have made the bread with organic whole wheat flour, but if you want you can make the bread with all purpose flour or half-half of both the flours.
vegan banana bread recipe below:
- 4 medium sized ripe or over ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ or ⅔ cup coconut oil or sunflower oil (adding about ⅔ cup would result in a more softer texture)
- ½ cup organic brown sugar or cane sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- grease a bread tin or a rectangular cake pan with some coconut oil.
- first mash the bananas well or puree them with a hand blender.
- now add the oil, sugar & vanilla to the banana and blend well.
- sieve the flour with the baking soda and baking powder.
- fold the seived flour really well.
- this folding step is important as you want the whole bread mixture to be one and mixed evenly.
- lastly add the sunflower seeds and fold these.
- pour the bread mixture into the bread pan.
- bake at 180 degree C for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
- once warm or cool remove the bread from the pan.
- slice and serve warm.
- the remaining loaf, you can wrap in a cling film or keep in a box in the fridge.
- warm the bread before serving.
sweetness of the bread can be adjusted as per your preferences.