applesauce cake recipe with step by step photos – yet another one bowl recipe of an easy to prepare eggless and vegan sponge cake.
in this recipe applesauce replaces the eggs. this cake is not made from whole wheat flour. here i used all purpose flour (maida) as i did not want to take any chances with whole wheat flour. thus the cake is light, airy and spongy. though not exactly spongy like the sponge cakes made with eggs, but good enough for an eggless version. since i have had sponge cakes with eggs before, i can compare the taste and texture.
i used homemade unsweetened applesauce. applesauce works very well as a substitute for eggs. also the cake does not taste of apples. you won’t come to know that apples are added in the cake. i have also shared one more version of sponge cake made with condensed milk. you can check the recipe here – sponge cake recipe in cooker.
the recipe is again heavily modified from my home science notes. in the original recipe 3 eggs have been added. many years back, i have also made the egg version. for 1 egg, i have added ¼ cup of applesauce. you can either make the applesauce at home or use store brought one. the recipe is also a vegan recipe.
you can also serve it plain with milk or coffee/tea. usually i make sponge cakes to be served with the evening tea or coffee.
if you are looking for more eggless cakes recipes then do check:
- banana cake
- atta cake (eggless whole wheat cake)
- vanilla cake
- cooker cake
- biscuit cake
- eggless chocolate cake
vegan applesauce cake recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR vegan applesauce cake recipe (1 CUP = 250 ML)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (maida) or about 185 grams maida
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup oil or 62.5 ml oil - use oil which has a neutral taste and flavor
- ¾ cup unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder or 1 scraped vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar or lemon juice
HOW TO MAKE vegan applesauce cake recipe
- in a mixing bowl, take 3/4 cup apple puree, 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup sugar.
- with a wired whisk, stir this mixture so well that the oil is incorporated evenly.
- now add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar or lime juice to this wet mixture.
- seive the dry ingredients - 1.5 cups maida/all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt directly in the bowl having the wet ingredients.
- add vanilla powder or scraped vanilla bean or vanilla extract.
- fold the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients lightly. don't over do.
- the batter should feel light.
- pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- bake at 180 degrees celsius in a preheated oven for 35 to 40 mins.
- once baked and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, remove the cake from the pan after it cools a bit and then place on a wired rack or tray for the sponge cake to cool down.
- slice and serve this eggless cake with milk, tea or coffee.
do’s and don’ts for this vegan applesauce cake recipe
- baking soda and baking powder cannot be substituted for each other.
- oil gives a really good texture. use oil which has a neutral taste and flavor. if using butter then first mix the sugar with the apple sauce, till the sugar dissolves. then add the butter and with an electric beater beat very well till the mixture is uniform and smooth.
- the recipe cannot be doubled or halved. if using salted butter then skip adding pinch of the salt to the batter.
- this cake can be made in the convection mode of a microwave oven. not sure about pressure cooker method. you will have to experiment on your own.
- recipe uses 1 tbsp fresh apple cider vinegar. but you can add 1 tbsp regular vinegar or lemon juice in place of apple cider vinegar.
- whole wheat flour might not work in this recipe. though if you want to add, then i suggest adding half-half of both all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
note – the step by step pics have been taken in the night.
how to make vegan applesauce cake recipe
1. in a mixing bowl, take ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce, ¼ cup oil and ¾ cup sugar. also grease a loaf pan measuring 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches with oil or butter. you can also use a round pan of 7 or 7.5 inches diameter. preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius/350 degrees fahrenheit 15 minutes before you start baking. for baking in the convection mode of the microwave oven, use 170 degrees celsius/330 degrees fahrenheit as the preheat temperature.
2. with a wired whisk, stir this mixture so well that the oil is incorporated evenly.
3. now add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar or lemon juice to this wet mixture.
4. stir and mix again very well.
5. seive the dry ingredients – 1.5 cups maida/all purpose flour, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt directly in the bowl having the wet ingredients.
6. add vanilla powder or scraped vanilla bean or vanilla extract.
7. fold the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients lightly. don’t over do.
8. the batter should feel light. here’s the batter ready to go in a greased pan.
9. pour the batter in the prepared pan.
10. bake at 180 degrees celsius/350 degrees fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes. if top starts to get browned early during baking, then cover with foil or butter paper and continue to bake. depending on the temperature conditions in your oven, it make take less or more time. the final check is a golden top and a tooth pick or wooden skewer coming out clean. for baking in the convection mode of a microwave oven, use the temperature of 170 degrees celsius/330 degrees fahrenheit. again the baking time will vary in the convection mode of your microwave oven
11. once baked and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, remove the cake from the pan after it cools a bit and then place on a wired rack or tray for the sponge cake to cool down.
12. here’s the pic of the cake in daylight. slice and serve this eggless sponge cake with milk, tea or coffee.