baby corn jalfrezi recipe with step by step photos – tangy, slightly sweet and spicy that is how i will describe this baby corn jalfrezi. this bright orange color dish not only looks pleasing to the eyes but also is appealing to the taste buds.
jalfrezi dishes are popular recipes served in many indian restaurants. so there is baby corn jalfrezi, vegetable jalfrezi or paneer jalfrezi in the vegetarian category. i have read that jalfrezi dishes originated during british rule in west bengal region of india.
the baby corn jalfrezi recipe is easy and basically is stir frying the veggies and then slow cooking them in the tomato puree. you can also add paneer or tofu in this dish. i have used green bell pepper but red or yellow bell peppers would equally look good and taste also good in this dish.
you can have this baby corn jalfrezi with rice or naan.
baby corn jalfrezi recipe card below:
- 200 to 250 grams baby corn
- 1 medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - you can use kashmiri chili or bedgi chili
- 2 garlic + ½ inch ginger - crushed or made in a paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 or 1.5 teaspoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- salt as required
- some coriander leaves for garnishing
- ¼ or ½ cup water
slice each baby corn vertically in to 4.
thinly slice the capsicum and onions.
heat oil in kadai or wok or a pan.
add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
add the dry red chilies and saute for 10-12 seconds.
now add the capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes.
add the baby corn and saute for 2-3 minutes.
now add the tomato puree and stir.
add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
also add salt and sugar
cook the baby corn in the tomato puree for 10-12 mins.
if the liquids dry up, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and continue to cook.
when baby corn jalfrezi curry becomes semi dry, add the vinegar.
stir and serve the baby corn jalfrezi garnished with coriander leaves.
how to make baby corn jalfrezi recipe:
1. rinse 200 to 250 grams baby corn couple of times in running water.
2. slice each baby corn vertically in to 4 pieces.
3. thinly slice 1 medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch) and 1 medium sized onion. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making baby corn jalfrezi.
4. heat 2 tablespoons oil in kadai or wok or a pan.
5. add thinly sliced onions.
6. saute till they become translucent.
7. add the ginger garlic paste made from 2 garlic + ½ inch ginger. you can either pestle them on a mortar or grind them in a mixer.
8. saute till the raw aroma goes away.
9. add 2 kashmiri dry red chilies or bedgi dry red chilies and saute for 10 to 12 seconds.
10. now add thinly sliced capsicum.
11. saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. add the baby corn and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
13. now add 1 cup tomato puree.
14. stir well.
15. add ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder), 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder), 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder) and ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
16. mix well.
17. also add 1 to 1.5 teaspoon sugar and salt as required.
18. cook the baby corn in the tomato puree for 10 to 12 minutes.
19. if the liquids dry up, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and continue to cook.
20. when baby corn jalfrezi curry becomes semi dry, add ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (sirka).
21. stir well.
22. garnish baby corn jalfrezi with some coriander leaves.
23. serve the baby corn jalfrezi with rice or naan to your loved ones.