baby corn jalfrezi recipe - tangy, slightly sweet and spicy that is how i will describe this baby corn jalfrezi. this bright orange color dish not only looks pleasing to the eyes but also is appealing to the taste buds.
jalfrezi dishes are popular recipes served in many indian restaurants. so there is baby corn jalfrezi, vegetable jalfrezi or paneer jalfrezi in the vegetarian category. i have read that jalfrezi dishes originated during british rule in west bengal region of india.
the baby corn jalfrezi recipe is easy and basically is stir frying the veggies and then slow cooking them in the tomato puree. you can also add paneer or tofu in this dish. i have used green bell pepper but red or yellow bell peppers would equally look good and taste also good in this dish.
you can have this baby corn jalfrezi with rice or naan.
baby corn jalfrezi recipe details below:
- 200 or 250 gms baby corn
- 1 medium sized capsicum/green bell pepper
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 dry red chilies
- 2 garlic + ½ inch ginger - crushed or made in a paste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ or ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 or 1.5 tsp organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- salt as required
- some coriander leaves for garnishing
- slice each baby corn vertically in to 4.
- thinly slice the capsicum and onions.
- heat oil in kadai or wok or a pan.
- add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- add the dry red chilies and saute for 10-12 seconds.
- now add the capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- add the baby corn and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- now add the tomato puree and stir.
- add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
- also add salt and sugar
- cook the baby corn in the tomato puree for 10-12 mins.
- if the liquids dry up, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and continue to cook.
- when the curry becomes semi dry, add the vinegar.
- stir and serve the baby corn jalfrezi garnished with coriander leaves.