Baby corn masala recipe with step by step photos – a creamy baby corn masala made in the classic North Indian style. A vegan recipe.
There are a few dishes that I make with baby corn. Some of them are in the drafts as well which I will be posting soon. Baby corn blends well with any gravy or sauce, be it North Indian, Indo Chinese or even world cuisine.
I usually add baby corn in pulao or rice dishes or in Indo Chinese recipes. On some rare occasions, I make proper baby corn based dishes. Thats why there are only few Baby corn recipes on the blog.
This baby corn masala recipe does not use any heavy ingredients like butter and cream. So is light and yet delicious. The creaminess comes from the blended cashews, magaz (melon seeds) and tomatoes.
This baby corn curry goes well with rotis, naan, steamed rice or jeera rice. You can also accompany some fresh vegetable salad by the side.
How to make baby corn masala
1. In a blender or grinder, add the cashews, magaz (melon seeds), onions, tomatoes and spices.
2. Blend or grind to a smooth paste with some water.
3. Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf).
4. fry till fragrant and then add the ground masala paste.
5. continue to saute and stir pretty often. After 10-12 mins add the spice powders.
6. Continue sauteing till the whole masala starts coming together.
7. This is how the consistency of the masala should be well sauteed. This sauteing process takes approx 20-25 mins on a low to medium flame. So one needs patience and time when doing this method. Also the masala has to be stirred quite often.
8. Add water and chopped baby corn.
9. bring to a boil and then simmer for 12-15 minutes on a low to medium flame till the baby corn gravy thickens and you get a medium consistency gravy.
10. lastly add crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and salt as required. Stir and check the taste of baby corn curry. Add more salt, red chilli powder or garam masala powder if required. Switch off the fire.
11. Serve baby corn masala hot garnished with coriander leaves accompanied with rotis, naan, phulkas or steamed rice.
More Popular recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
baby corn masala
main ingredients for baby corn masala
- 200 to 250 grams baby corn
- 1 medium sized tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1.5 to 2 cups water * check notes
- 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
grind to paste
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 3 to 4 garlic
- ¾ inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 strand of mace
- ¼ cup chopped or broken cashews
- 2 tablespoon magaz (melon seeds)
- Rinse the baby corn first. Slice the base thinly.
- Then chop the baby corn either diagonally, vertically or into 1 inch slices.
- Take all the ingredients mentioned under the list "grind to paste" in a blender or grinder.
- Add little water and make a smooth paste. Don't add too much water as then the masala splutters while frying.
making baby corn masala
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- Add bay leaf and fry till fragrant for 7-8 seconds.
- Add the masala paste. Saute and keep on stirring the masala paste.
- After 10-12 minutes add all the spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder.
- Stir well. Continue to saute, stirring quite often till the oil separates from the masala.
- The masala has to really sauted very well.
- This takes approx 20-25 minutes on a low to medium flame.
cooking baby corn curry
- Next add water and baby corns.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer the gravy for 12-15 mins on a low to medium flame till you get a medium consistency gravy and the baby corn have cooked.
- Lastly add crushed kasuri methi and salt as required.
- Stir and check the taste of curry. add more salt, red chilli powder or garam masala powder if required.
- Serve the baby corn masala curry hot with some naan, rotis or jeera rice.
- * add more water if required and if the baby corn masala gravy is too thick.
- If the baby corn masala gravy becomes thin then simmer till the gravy thickens.
- In this baby corn masala recipe I have blended both the onions and tomatoes together. So sauteing this paste takes a lot of time. If you want to be quick, then add the onion paste first and saute till golden brown and then add the tomatoes-spice-nuts paste.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later