Baby corn jalfrezi recipe with step by step photos – tangy, slightly sweet and spicy that is how I will describe this baby corn jalfrezi. A vegan recipe.
This bright orange color dish not only looks pleasing to the eyes but also is appealing to the taste buds.
Jalfrezi dishes are popular recipes served in many Indian restaurants. So there is baby corn jalfrezi, vegetable jalfrezi or Paneer Jalfrezi in the vegetarian category. I have read that jalfrezi dishes originated during British rule in the West Bengal region of India.
The baby corn jalfrezi recipe is easy and basically is stir-frying the veggies and then slow cooking them in the tomato puree.
You can also add paneer or tofu in this dish. I have used green bell pepper but red or yellow bell peppers would equally look good and taste also good in this dish.
You can have this baby corn jalfrezi with rice or naan or roti or paratha.
How to make baby corn jalfrezi
1. Rinse 200 to 250 grams of baby corn a couple of times in running water.
2. Slice each baby corn vertically into 4 pieces.
3. Thinly slice 1 medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper) and 1 medium-sized onion. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in kadai or wok or a pan.
5. Add thinly sliced onions.
6. Saute till they become translucent.
7. Add the ginger-garlic paste made from 2 garlic + ½ inch ginger. You can either pestle them on a mortar or grind them in a mixer.
8. Sauté till the raw aroma goes away.
9. Add 2 Kashmiri dry red chilies or byadgi dry red chilies and sauté for 10 to 12 seconds.
10. Now add thinly sliced capsicum.
11. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add the baby corn and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
13. Now add 1 cup tomato puree.
14. Stir well.
15. Add ½ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder and ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
16. Mix well.
17. Also, add 1 to 1.5 teaspoon sugar and salt as required.
18. Cook the baby corn in the tomato puree for 10 to 12 minutes.
19. If the liquids dry up, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and continue to cook.
20. When baby corn jalfrezi curry becomes semi-dry, add ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
21. Stir well.
22. Garnish with some coriander leaves.
23. Serve the Baby Corn Jalfrezi with rice or naan.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Baby Corn Jalfrezi
- 200 to 250 grams baby corn
- 1 medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 dry red chilies - you can use kashmiri chili or bedgi chili
- 2 garlic + ½ inch ginger - crushed or made in a paste
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 cup Tomato Puree
- ½ teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 or 1.5 teaspoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- salt as required
- some coriander leaves for garnishing
- ¼ or ½ cup water
- Slice each baby corn vertically in to 4.
- Thinly slice the capsicum and onions.
- Heat oil in kadai or wok or a pan.
- Add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- Add the dry red chilies and saute for 10-12 seconds.
- Now add the capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the baby corn and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the tomato puree and stir.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala.
- Also add salt and sugar
- Cook the baby corn in the tomato puree for 10-12 minutes.
- If the liquids dry up, then add ¼ or ½ cup water and continue to cook.
- When the curry becomes semi-dry, add the vinegar.
- Stir and serve the baby corn jalfrezi garnished with coriander leaves.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.