paneer jalfrezi recipe with step by step photos – paneer jalfrezi is a tangy, mild and semi dry dish of paneer cooked with vegetables. this is one more easy paneer recipe. at times i just want to cook easy and quick and i make such recipes. i do like extensive cooking at times, but not always. more so in the summer heat, slogging in the kitchen is not what i prefer.
so just after posting the malai paneer, here’s another easy paneer recipe. the prep work is just slicing the veggies and making the tomato puree. if you use ready made tomato puree, then the prep work is halved.
in this paneer jalfrezi recipe, i have added veggies like carrots, baby corn and capsicum (green bell pepper). feel free to add your choice of veggies or skip the veggies completely.
i already have a baby corn jalfrezi, but this recipe is slightly different and much mild and less spiced. a semi dry paneer dish, good for kids and people who cannot tolerate spicy food. the recipe has been adapted from the book “100 great indian recipes” by Master Chefs Of India.
this mild and tangy paneer jalfrezi goes well with chapatis, naan or rotis. accompany a plain raita, boondi raita or an onion tomato raita by the side.
if you are looking for more paneer recipes then do check
paneer jalfrezi recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR paneer jalfrezi recipe
- 200 to 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 small to medium carrot OR 50 grams carrot
- 9 to 10 baby corn OR 50 grams baby corn
- 1 medium to large capsicum OR 80 to 100 grams capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 large onion OR 100 grams onions
- 1 medium to large tomato OR 80 to 100 grams tomatoes - OR about 4 to 5 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 inch ginger - crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle or minced OR 1.5 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider - you can also add more or less depending on your taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required
- salt as required
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoon oil
HOW TO MAKE paneer jalfrezi recipe
preparation for paneer jalfrezi recipe
- rinse and peel the carrots and onions.
- thinly slice the onions, slice the carrot into thin strips or shred them in a food processor.
- slice the baby corn and and bell peppers, thinly.
- thinly slicing the vegetables, helps them to cook faster.
- crush the ginger to a paste in a mortar-pestle or grate/mince it.
- chop the paneer into fingers.
making paneer jalfrezi
- heat oil in a pan. add the ginger paste and dry red chilies.
- saute till the raw aroma of the ginger paste goes away.
- add the sliced onions. saute for two to three minutes and then add the cumin powder and black pepper powder.
- stir and saute the onions for a further 3 minutes.
- add all the sliced veggies. stir well. cover and cook the veggies on a low flame, till they are almost tender. keep on stirring in between. no need to add any water while cooking the vegetables. cook the vegetables covered, for about 10 to 12 mins on a low heat.
- meanwhile make puree of the tomatoes in a blender. no need to blanch the tomatoes.
- add the tomato puree to the veggies.
- simmer without the lid till the rawness of the tomatoes goes away and the vegetables are completely cooked. about 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
- season with salt, sugar and vinegar. lastly add the paneer. stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- garnish paneer jalfrezi with coriander leaves or parsley leaves.
- serve paneer jalfrezi hot with roti, paratha or naan.
how to make paneer jalfrezi
1. thinly slice all the vegetables –
(1 small to medium carrot or 50 gms carrot,
9 to 10 baby corn or 50 gms baby corn,
1 medium to large capsicum/green bell pepper or 80 to 100 gms capsicum,
1 large onion or 100 gms onion).
you can even shred the veggies in a food processor.
you can add your choice of veggies or skip the veggies completely.
2. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and then add the ginger paste (1 inch ginger, crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle or minced or 1.5 tsp ginger paste) and 2 dry red chilies.
3. saute till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
4. add the sliced onions (1 large onion or 100 gms).
5. saute for 2 to 3 minutes and then add 1 tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp black pepper powder. stir and saute the onions for a further 3 minutes.
6. add all the sliced veggies. stir well. cover and cook the veggies on a low flame, till they are almost tender. about 10 to 12 minutes on a low heat. keep on stirring in between. its important to thinly slice the veggies, so that they cook faster. you can even chop them in small cubes.
7. meanwhile make puree of the tomatoes in a blender (1 medium to large tomato, 80 to 100 gms – about 4 to 5 tbsp tomato puree). no need to blanch the tomatoes.
8. add the tomato puree to the veggies.
9. simmer without the lid till the rawness of the tomatoes goes away and the vegetables are completely cooked. about 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame. stir at times. season with salt, ½ tsp sugar and ½ tsp white vinegar or apple cider.
10. lastly add the paneer (200 to 250 grams cottage cheese). stir well and cook paneer jalfrezi for 2-3 minutes.
11. garnish with (½ to 1 tbsp) coriander leaves or parsley and serve paneer jalfrezi hot with naan, rotis or phulkas.