Bhindi ki sabji recipe With step by step photos – this is a simple, easy and tasty recipe of dry okra curry.
In Konkani language we call it ‘Bhendi chi bhaji‘. This is one of my mom’s excellent recipes for making bhindi bhaji. It is relatively easy to prepare and taste also good.
Here beside the regular Indian flavors, the okra or bhindi is also subtly flavored by the aroma of fennel powder (saunf powder).
This bhindi ki sabji recipe Is good with chapatis and even comforting with dal and rice combo. A perfect Indian meal accompanied by some mango pickle or raita or salad.
How to make bhindi ki sabji
1. Rinse 250 grams bhindi (okra) well with water.
2. Dry each bhindi with a kitchen napkin. you do not get a slimy or mushy bhindi if you wipe dry the okra very well.
3. Remove the head and the tail.
4. Chop the bhindi into round pieces.
Making bhindi sabzi
5. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in pan or wok. Add 1 large-sized chopped onion.
6. Saute and stir the onions.
7. Saute the onions till transparent.
8. Now add 1 chopped green chili and 1 large-sized chopped tomato.
9. Stir well and saute them for a couple of minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
10. Add 1 teaspoon fennel powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing), a pinch or two of dry mango powder (amchur powder) and ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder one by one.
11. Mix well.
12. Stir and then add okra.
13. Mix well and then add salt as required.
14. Place a lid with a rim on the pan or kadai. Pour water on the lid.
15. Cook the okra till done on low to medium flame. Keep on checking in between and stir occasionally, so that the bhindi bhaji does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
16. When the okra is cooked, then garnish with few chopped coriander leaves.
17. Serve Bhindi ki sabzi hot with rotis or plain paratha.
More delicious Bhindi recipes
Bhindi ki Sabji
- 250 grams bhindi (okra or lady finger)
- 1 green chili - chopped
- 1 medium or large sized onion - chopped
- 1 large tomato - chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- a pinch or two of dry mango powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- rinse 250 grams okra well with water. Dry each okra with a kitchen napkin.
- Remove the head and the tail and chop the okra into round pieces.
making bhindi ki sabji
- Heat oil in pan or wok. fry the onions till transparent.
- Now add the green chili and tomatoes. Saute them for a couple of minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add all the dry spice powders one by one. Stir and then add okra. mix well. add salt as required and mix.
- Place a lid with a rim on the pan or kadai. pour water on the lid.
- Cook the okra till done on low to medium flame.
- Keep on checking in between and stir occasionally, so that the sabzi does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the okra is cooked, then garnish the bhindi bhaji with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve bhindi ki sabji hot with rotis or parathas.