A sweet and refreshing strawberry milkshake is the perfect drink for summer. They can be enjoyed as a healthy breakfast beverage, for an energizing snack or even as a light(er) dessert. Here I share with you two different but equally delicious ways to make my favorite strawberry milkshake recipe – a classic shake prepared with milk, and a plant-based vegan version made with almond milk.
Table of Contents
About Strawberry Shake
I love to make all kinds of fun recipes whenever strawberries are in season. From Shortcakes to Cream Cakes, strawberries are a perfect ingredient to use in your favorite sweet treats.
Not only are strawberries great to bake with, they’re terrific to include in other dishes like Fruit Salad and many no-cook summer recipes. When I have an abundance of strawberries but don’t have the time (or simply don’t feel like) cooking, this strawberry milkshake is my go-to way to use fresh berries.
Not only are fruit shakes delicious, they are easy to make in just 10 minutes with a handful of wholesome and tasty ingredients.
Plus, you can customize this recipe of strawberry milkshake to fit your tastes. Below you’ll find step-by-step instructions to prepare a traditional shake made with milk or a vegan strawberry shake that uses almond milk or your preferred plant-based milk substitute.
These milkshakes with strawberries can also be prepared thin or thick, however you like! I often make this milkshake without ice cream, and therefore this drink has a slightly thin consistency but lots of vibrant strawberry flavor. But it is easy to make this recipe with ice cream – dairy or vegan-friendly – for a richer, thicker shake.
Make your milkshake however you prefer for a tasty treat anytime of the day!
Speaking of fresh strawberries, you should check out these Strawberries Recipes for even more ideas of how to use a bounty of berries:
1. First, rinse and drain 250 grams (about 22 to 25 small to medium) of fresh strawberries.
2. Slice off the green leafy part from all the strawberries. This is also called as hulling the strawberries. Then roughly chop them.
3. Add the chopped strawberries to a blender jar.
Make Strawberry Milkshake
4. Add 2 to 2.5 cups of chilled milk, depending on whether you want a thinner or thicker strawberry milkshake. You can also add one or two scoops of vanilla or strawberry ice cream to make a thicker and creamier shake.
5. Add sugar as required. If the strawberries are very sweet or you’re using ice cream, then you don’t need to add any sugar. I added 3 tablespoons of raw sugar, but you can use granulated white sugar also.
Feel free to add 2 to 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream or strawberry ice cream at this point for a much thicker and creamier shake.
6. Blend the milkshake until smooth.
7. Pour into two tall glasses and serve the strawberry shake immediately. You can also add a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice cream at the end for an extra sweet treat.
Vegan Strawberry Shake
This strawberry shake version uses chilled plant-based almond milk for a delicious vegan milkshake. You can also prepare it with coconut or cashew milk, if you like.
Either way I recommend adding a scoop of vegan vanilla, strawberry, banana or chikoo (sapota) ice cream either while blending or as a topping before you enjoy.
Before you make this recipe be sure to check out my handy post on How to Make Almond Milk from scratch. (Note: It keeps well for about 2 to 3 days when made fresh.) Almond milk is a very good and super healthy alternative if you are allergic to milk or are a vegan.
Here are the easy steps for making a fresh and yummy vegan strawberry milkshake:
- First, hull and chop 200 to 250 grams of fresh strawberries (22 to 25 berries).
- Add them in a blender cup along with 2.5 cups of almond milk, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract (or vanilla powder or half of a small vanilla bean scraped), plus 1 to 2 tablespoons of raw sugar or powdered jaggery or maple syrup. You can also add a scoop of non-dairy vanilla or strawberry ice cream or sapodilla ice cream when blending for an extra thick vegan shake.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two tall glasses. If you like, place a scoop of the plant-based ice cream in the milkshake. Vegan vanilla ice cream and strawberry ice cream are my favorites for this recipe.
- Garnish the milkshake with some chopped strawberries or nuts. I topped with some vegan sapodilla ice cream (chikoo ice cream).
- Serve the strawberry almond milkshakes immediately.
- Strawberries: If possible use sweet and ripe strawberries. This will eliminate the need to add any extra sweeteners, and therefore makes this a healthy milkshake recipe.
- Creamy thick shakes: You can also make a thicker, creamier shake by using frozen strawberries. Flash freeze fresh strawberries by rinsing, hulling, and placing on a baking sheet. Then place in the freezer for an hour or so before blending.
- Flavoring options: Feel free to add your choice of flavorings like vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, mint leaves, lavender or ground green cardamom while blending.
- Ice cream shake: For an even creamier thick milkshake, add a two to three scoops of vanilla or strawberry ice cream while blending.
- Sweeteners: Including any sweetener is optional and I recommend that you only add it if your strawberries are not sweet. Add your preferred choice of sweetener such as jaggery, granulated sugar, maple syrup or coconut sugar.
More Milkshake Recipes To Try!
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
For Strawberry Milkshake
- 250 grams strawberries or 22 to 25 small to medium strawberries
- 2 cups milk cold or chilled, you can also add 2.5 cups milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons raw sugar or any sweetener of choice – add as required, optional
- 2 to 3 scoops strawberry ice cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
For Vegan Strawberry Shake
- 250 grams strawberry, hulled and chopped
- 2.5 cups Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a small vanilla bean scraped (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw sugar or choice of sweetener, add as required
- 2 to 3 scoops vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan strawberry ice cream or sapodilla ice cream – optional
Making Strawberry Milkshake
- First rinse the strawberries very well in water using a strainer or colander. Drain all of the water.
- Slice off the green leafy part from all the strawberries. Then chop the strawberries.
Blending The Ingredients
- Add the chopped strawberries to a blender together with 2 cups of cold or chilled milk.
- Optionally add the raw sugar or as needed. If the strawberries are very sweet, then you don't need to add any sugar or sweetener of choice.
- To make a thicker and creamier shake, add 2 to 3 scoops of vanilla or strawberry ice cream in the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour in tall glasses and serve strawberry milkshake immediately. You can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or strawberry ice cream and have a strawberry ice cream shake.
Making Vegan Strawberry Shake
- Rinse the strawberries well and drain the water. Hull (remove the top green stems) and chop the fresh strawberries
- Add chopped strawberries in a blender cup together with almond milk, vanilla powder (or vanilla extract or half of a vanilla bean scraped), plus 1 to 2 tablespoons of powdered jaggery or organic raw sugar
- You can also add a scoop of non-dairy vanilla or strawberry ice cream when blending for an extra thick vegan shake.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two tall glasses. If you like, place a scoop of the plant-based vanilla or strawberry ice cream in the strawberry shake. Garnish it with some chopped strawberries or nuts.
- Serve the vegan strawberry almond milkshake immediately.
- Serve these strawberry milkshakes as soon as they are made for the best taste and freshness. You can enjoy them as a snack for brunch or make them for breakfast.
- Top with sliced strawberries or chopped nuts of your choice.
- Strawberries: Try to make the shakes with sweet and ripe strawberries. This will do away the need to add any extra sweeteners making these shakes healthy.
- Creamy thick shakes: Make a creamier, thick shake by using frozen strawberries. Flash freeze fresh strawberries by rinsing, hulling, and placing on a baking sheet. Then place in the freezer for an hour or so before blending.
- Flavoring options: Add your favorite flavorings like ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, mint leaves, lavender or ground green cardamoms.
- Ice cream shake: For a more creamier thick milkshake, add two to three scoops of vanilla or strawberry ice cream while blending.
- Sweeteners: I suggest to add the sweeteners only if your strawberries are not sweet. Add your preferred choice of sweetener such as jaggery, granulated sugar, maple syrup, palm sugar or coconut sugar.
- Making Almond Milk: To make quick almond milk, soak 1 cup almonds in hot water for 30 minutes. Peel and blend them with 3 cups water in a sturdy blender. Strain through a fine sieve, cheese cloth or muslin. Keep the milk in a jar or bottle covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. The remaining almond meal can be added to breads, cakes, muffins, cookies.
- Note that the approximate nutrition info is for the strawberry milkshake made with dairy milk.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This strawberry milkshake recipe post from the blog archives (February 2015) has been republished and updated on 24 May 2021.
Comments are closed.
Today I tried it and it’s just awesome.
Wow… Delicious food recipes
thankyou kavitha 🙂
Wonderful simple shake. Added the chia seeds and used frozen berries. Mmmmm. Thanks for this.
welcome and thankyou tameca 🙂