Strawberry cream cake recipe with step by step photos – egg free version of a delicious creamy sponge cake which is sandwiched with macerated strawberries, whipped cream and frosted with whipped cream.
I had made the Eggless vanilla cake recipe specifically to make this cake. You can use any sponge cake or vanilla cake as a base. The cake is sandwiched with strawberry cream icing and topped with a whipped cream frosting. i have used fresh strawberries to make this cake but you can use canned strawberries also.
I have used amul cream to make this icing. As you will see in the pics, the amul cream really worked well to my surprise to give stiff peaks. I used icing sugar to make the cream icing and that helped the cream to get stiff peaks. Otherwise its difficult to whip amul cream really well. Later I tried with sugar to get stiff peaks but it did not happen as good as this one.
I have not been able to give a professional touch to this strawberry cream cake as I did not have a palette knife nor a cake stand. With a regular spatula I spread & evened the icing. I did not even slice the risen dome from the top. The perfection does not matter, when you are making such desserts for your loved ones. What matters is that they enjoy the treat you made for them.
This cake was a surprise as I never knew that my hubby is fond of cakes with cream icings. I shall be adding more pastries and cakes with icings recipes in the future.
This is a rich creamy cake and meant for festive occasions or birthday or anniversary celebrations. You can make the whole cake a day before and cover and keep in the fridge, so that the sliced strawberries on the top don’t dry out
In the step by step, I am sharing the filling and frosting pics. You can see the step by step Eggless vanilla cake recipe. in the recipe details below, I have mentioned the ingredients and process of making the eggless vanilla cake.
If you are looking for more Eggless cakes then do check:
Strawberry Cream Cake
for the basic vanilla cake
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup melted butter or oil
- ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar – add as required * check notes
- 3 tablespoon yogurt (curd or dahi - dairy or vegan ) + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla powder or half of a vanilla bean - scraped
for the cream frosting and filling
- 200 ml whipping cream - use cream which has at least 30% fat
- 4 to 5 tablespoon icing sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 to 200 grams fresh strawberries
- 3 to 4 tablespoon organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar or as required
preparing the eggless vanilla cake
- First sift the all purposed flour/maida with the baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan.
- Just keep everything ready as you have to be quick enough to mix the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c.
- Grease a 6 or 7 inches pan with butter or oil. You can also line the pan with butter paper and then grease the butter paper with oil or butter.
- Now take some butter and melt it in a small pan or microwave.
- You need to get about ½ cup of melted butter. Just melt the butter. No need to heat it.
- When the butter is still warm or a bit hot, add the sugar to the melted butter.
- Stir and mix well. Keep aside.
- Now in a measuring cup or in a small bowl, whisk the 3 tbsp yogurt + 1 tbsp water till smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp vinegar. Then add the baking soda and stir.
- Pour the butter+sugar mixture, ½ cup water and the frothing yogurt+vinegar+baking soda into the sieved flour.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Be quick enough to fold and make a lump free batter. Don’t over do the folding.
- Pour the batter in the greased baking pan.
- Shake and tap the sides of the pan so that air bubbles are released.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven in the center rack.
- Keep the heating in both the bottom and top elements of the oven on.
- Bake at 180 degrees c for 30-35 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- If the vanilla cake browns too quickly on the top, then cover the top with an aluminium foil or butter paper.
- Once done let the vanilla cake stand at room temperature for 7-8 minutes.
- Then with the help of oven mitts, gently remove the vanilla cake on a wired tray or rack.
- Once the vanilla cake cools, you can serve the eggless vanilla cake as it is or use the vanilla cake to make pastries or gateau.
- Let the cake cool completely before you prepare the icing.
preparing the icing and filling
- Rinse the strawberries well and then dry them with kitchen napkin.
- Reserve about 5-6 small to medium strawberries for the decoration and keep them in the fridge.
- Hull and chop the rest of the strawberries.
- Take the chopped strawberries and about 3 to 4 tbsp sugar in a bowl.
- The proportion of sugar here depends on the sweetness of the strawberries.
- Mix the sugar with the strawberries and keep aside for at least 30-40 mins to macerate in the fridge. You can also keep them overnight.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the wired whip blade, whip the cream and icing sugar along with vanilla extract, at high speed till you get stiff peaks in the cream.
- Taste the cream and add more sugar if required.
- You can also use a hand held electric beater to whip the cream.
- The cream should have stiff peaks - meaning on turning the bowl the cream should not fall down.
assembling strawberry cream cake:
- Slice the cake with a serrated knife from the center carefully into two equal halves.
- Brush the syrup from the chilled macerated strawberries lightly on one half of the cake.
- Spread the chopped strawberries evenly on the cake.
- Spread another layer of the whipped cream evenly on the cake.
- Keep the other cake slice over.
- Now spread the remaining whipped cream all over the cake with a palette knife or spatula evenly.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours so that the cream icing sets.
- Slice the strawberries which we had chilled for decorating the cake and keep them aside.
- Remove the cake and decorate the cake with the fresh strawberry slices.
- Serve the strawberry cream cake immediately.
- Or you can keep it covered in the fridge and then serve later.
- Its advisable to finish this strawberry cream cake in a day or two.
Step by step eggless strawberry cream gateau cake recipe:
1. First mix sugar with chopped strawberries and keep aside for 30-40 minutes in the fridge. The strawberries would release their juices. This process is called as maceration.
2.beat cream with icing sugar & vanilla extract with a hand held electric beater or in a stand mixer attached with the wire whip blade. If using a stand mixer beat at the highest speed till you get stiff peaks.
3. don’t overdo the beating as the cream might turn into butter, when you get stiff peaks, just stop the mixer or beater.
4. slice the sponge or vanilla cake into half.
5. Brush the strawberry juice from the macerated strawberries on the top of the cake slice evenly. Don’t add too much of the juice as the cake might become soggy. Spread all the chopped strawberries on the cake evenly. The leftover juice you can slurp 🙂
6. Spread a part of whipped cream on top of the strawberry filling evenly.
7. Place the other half of the cake.
8. Now with a palette knife or a flat spatula spread the remaining whipped cream evenly all over the strawberry cream cake. keep the cake in the fridge for 2-3 hours for the cream frosting to set.
9. Before serving the strawberry cream cake, slice chilled strawberries and decorate on the cake.
10. serve the eggless strawberry cream gateau cake immediately or you can refrigerate the cake and then serve it a few hours later. Its advisable to finish this strawberry cream cake in a day or two.