mushroom caldin recipe with step by step photos – this is a vegetarian as well as vegan version of the popular goan bright yellow curry generally made with fish.
fish caldin as well as veg caldin is often served in the shacks and restaurants in goa. i once had a veg caldin at a beach shack and it was bad. no flavors, no balance and no taste…. wondered who made it.
mom makes fish as well as prawns caldin often at home. being goans, they are fish eaters, so fish is often served on the menu. i use my mom’s caldin recipe to make veg or mushroom caldin at home. my north indian family loves this mushroom curry to the core. so much so that i often get requests to make this.
here i have used coconut milk, both thin and thick milk. you can also use grated coconut and make the curry. to give a hint of sourness to the curry, we always add tamarind. in the absence of tamarind you can add vinegar or lime juice.
as this is a curry, it goes best with some steamed rice. mushroom caldin curry also taste great with some soft bread or rolls. the bread soaks up the curry and its yummm when you eat a slice of bread and in no time you will end up finishing the curry as well as the bread. the curry can also be had with chapatis or parathas.
i served mushroom caldin with garlic bread and steamed rice. accompanying the curry you can also serve a side vegetable dish or a salad.
even with veggies like cauliflower, peas, carrots, french beans etc the caldin curry tastes very good. so you can make this coconut based curry with veggies of your choice as well as mushrooms or mixed varieties of mushrooms.
veg mushroom caldin recipe card below:
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms - rinsed and quartered
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sized tomato - quartered
- 2 cups thin coconut milk and 1 cup thick coconut milk (you can also substitute coconut milk with ¾ or 1 cup fresh grated coconut)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onion
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind (imli)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon water
first grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala curry paste to a smooth fine paste with some water.
if using grated coconut instead of coconut milk, then grind the coconut also with the rest of the masala curry paste ingredients.
keep the ground curry paste aside.
heat oil in a pot. fry onions till transparent.
add tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
now add the mushrooms. stir and saute the mushrooms.
first the mushroom will release water and the whole mixture will become slightly watery.
continue to saute till the water dries up and oil starts to leaves the sides of the mushroom mixture.
now add the ground masala paste and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
first add the thin coconut milk and simmer the curry for 5-6 minutes.
season with salt.
addition of thin coconut milk first will help in avoiding splitting of the thick coconut milk which we add later.
lastly add the thick coconut milk and let the mushroom caldin curry come to one boil. switch off the fire.
serve the mushroom caldin hot with some steamed rice or bread/rolls or goan bread.
- if grated coconut is added to make the masala curry paste, then add 2 to 2.5 cups water to give a curry like consistency.
- you can adjust the consistency of the mushroom caldin curry as per your needs.
how to make veg mushroom caldin recipe:
1. firstly rinse 250 grams button mushrooms in water for a couple of times and then drain the water.
2. wipe the mushrooms with a kitchen napkin or cloth.
3. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for the masala paste.
4. in a blender jar, add ¼ cup chopped onion, 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) and 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania).
5. next add ½ inch chopped ginger, 2 to 3 garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind (imli).
6. also add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and ¼ or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi).
7. pour 3 to 4 tablespoons water.
8. grind everything to a smooth paste. if using grated coconut instead of coconut milk, then grind ¾ to 1 cup of grated coconut also with the rest of the masala curry paste ingredients. i have added coconut milk hence didn’t grind coconut along the paste. keep the ground curry paste aside.
9. now measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the caldin.
10. heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pot or pan.
11. add ¼ cup chopped onion.
12. fry onions till transparent.
13. then add 1 tomato which has been quartered.
14. stir well.
15. fry for 2-3 minutes.
16. now add the chopped mushrooms.
17. stir and saute the mushrooms.
18. first the mushroom will release water and the whole mixture will become slightly watery.
19. continue to saute till the water dries up and oil starts to leaves the sides of the mushroom mixture.
20. now add the ground masala paste.
21. saute the paste for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
22. first add 2 cups thin coconut milk.
23. mix well.
24. simmer the curry for 5-6 minutes.
25. season with salt.
26. stir mushroom caldin curry well.
27. addition of thin coconut milk first will help in avoiding splitting of the thick coconut milk which we add later. lastly add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
28. let the mushroom caldin curry come to one boil. then switch off the fire.
29. serve the mushroom caldin hot with some steamed rice or bread/rolls or goan bread.