Capsicum rice recipe with step by step pics. This is an easy, quick and delicious one-pot capsicum rice or capsicum pulao recipe.
For those who like capsicum or bell peppers, here’s an aromatic pulao made with green bell peppers, spices and rice. This is a mild pulao and so goes well with kids or folks who do not prefer spicy food. Can also be packed in the tiffin box with a side dal or gravy dish or chutney.
There are not many ingredients used in the recipe and thus This capsicum rice goes very well with a side vegetable or paneer gravy, dal or even simple onion-tomato raita. I also make a spicy version of capsicum rice and I will share this recipe too.
Apart from green bell peppers, you can also use red or yellow bell peppers or even a mix of all three. You can add additional veggies like carrot, green peas, cauliflower or potatoes in the recipe. This will not only add more flavor but will also increase the nutritional content in this capsicum rice. But then it will be more like a veg pulao however will taste good and will be healthy.
How to make capsicum rice
1. Rinse 1 cup basmati rice very well in water. Then soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Later drain and keep the rice aside.
2. Meanwhile when the rice is soaking, slice the 1 medium onion thinly. Also slice 2 medium capsicums. Keep aside.
Making capsicum rice
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices – 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 green cardamoms, 2 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 small tej-patta (or 1 medium to large tej-patta), 2 single strands of mace. Saute till the spices crackle and become fragrant.
4. Then add the sliced onions.
5. stir very well.
6. Saute till the onions become golden.
7. Now add the sliced capsicum.
8. Add 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
9. Stir very well.
10. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Add rice and salt.
12. stir and saute for a minute.
Cooking capsicum rice
13. Pour 1.75 cups water. Also, squeeze in 4 to 5 drops of lemon juice. Stir again.
14. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook capsicum rice on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 whistles. when the pressure falls down on its own, open the lid and gently fluff the capsicum rice. I pressure cooked rice for 3 whistles. Depending on the type of rice, you can add 1.75 to 2 cups water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. You can also make the pulao in a pot. Add water accordingly if making the capsicum pulao in a pot or pan.
15. Serve capsicum rice With some curry dish or a dal. I served with mushroom masala.
- Carrot rice – this is a lightly spiced and delicious carrot rice recipe.
- Mango rice – a spiced, tempered and tangy rice dish made from raw mangoes.
- Pudina rice – a fragrant, spicy and tasty dish made with mint leaves and some more spices-herbs.
- Sambar rice – an easy to prepare delicious one pot meal. Making sambar rice is similar to making Bisi bele bath.
- Coconut rice – light, mild South Indian coconut rice recipe made with fresh grated coconut.
- 1 cup basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 small tejpatta or 1 medium to large tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 single strands of mace (javitiri)
- 1 medium onion, sliced or ½ cup sliced onions
- 75 to 80 grams capsicum or 2 medium capsicum or ¾ cup sliced capsicum (shimla mirch or bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 4 to 5 drops of lemon juice
- 1.75 cups water
- salt as required
preparation for capsicum rice
- Rinse 1 cup basmati rice very well in water.
- Then soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Later drain and keep the rice aside.
- Meanwhile when the rice is soaking, slice the onions thinly. Also slice the capsicum.
making capsicum rice
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add the whole spices - cumin seeds, green cardamoms, cloves, inch cinnamon, tejpatta, strands of mace.
- Saute till the spices crackle and become fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onions.
- Stir very well and saute till the onions become golden.
- Now add the sliced capsicum and chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir very well and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Pour water and season with salt. Also add 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice. Stir.
- Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook capsicum rice on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 whistles.
- When the pressure falls down on its own, open the lid and gently fluff the capsicum rice.
- Serve capsicum rice hot with some curry dish or a dal.