methi missi roti recipe – here’s a traditional punjabi recipe of missi roti in which i have added methi/fenugreek leaves. you can make missi roti without methi also, but adding these fresh methi leaves, does make the rotis more packed with nutrition and they taste good too.
i use a lot of greens in the food that i make at home. some methi or spinach always gets added to pulaos, dal or rotis.
i am often asked what is the difference between missi roti and thepla. there is not much difference except for the proportion of wheat flour and besan used. thepla is also made with other flours like pearl millet flour (bajra flour) and jowar flour (sorghum flour). i have also shared recipes of jowar roti and bajra roti.
if living outside india, you may not be able to find fresh fenugreek leaves. in this case, add spinach leaves or add dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). proportion mentioned below in the recipe notes.
i made the whole dough in kitchenaid, hence did not take all the step by step pics.
if you have a kitchenaid, then trust me….. making roti dough is a breeze in kitchenaid. no messy hands, no flour flying here and there and a clean work surface.
after we got the kitchenaid, i make all the dough kneading in it be it roti, poori and breads.
methi missi roti can be even packed for a tiffin lunch or snack with some mango pickle or lemon pickle. they also make a nice picnic food or travel lunch.
few more roti varieties for you!
methi missi roti
INGREDIENTS FOR methi missi roti
- 1 cup fresh methi leaves (fenugreek leaves tightly packed)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon salt or as required
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoon oil or ghee to be added to the dough
- some oil or ghee for frying the rotis
HOW TO MAKE methi missi roti
kneading dough for methi missi roti
- rinse and chop the methi leaves finely.
- mix the flours, salt, spices and spice powders.
- now stir in the chopped onion, green chili and methi leaves.
- mix everything well.
- add little water and start to knead into a dough.
- since the methi leaves also release water, it helps if the dough is kneaded with less water first.
- if all the water is added at once, the dough may end up being sticky.
- add some more water if required.
- let the dough rest for 15-20 minutes.
making methi ki missi roti
- now take medium sized balls from the dough.
- dust the work surface lightly with flour and roll into a medium sized round like chapatis.
- place the rolled roti on a hot tava or griddle and cook one side.
- when one side is half cooked, flip and cook the other side.
- smear some oil or ghee on both sides and cook the missi rotis till browned and cooked.
- stack in a roti basket.
- serve methi missi roti hot or warm with mango pickle, yogurt or white butter.