i make this simplest coconut chutney on fasting days to be served as a side dish with the vrat snacks and also at times when i want to make a quick coconut chutney.
this coconut chutney recipe is adapted from my mom’s recipe and she usually tempers the chutney. when making on fasting days, i don’t temper the chutney. but otherwise sometimes i do prepare the tempering.
i always freeze fresh grated coconut and this comes handy when making any coconut chutney or coconut based dish. this chutney is just made up of only 3 ingredients – coconut, green chilies and rock salt.
green chilies provide a lot of flavor and balances the slight sweet tones of the coconut in this chutney recipe. depending on the pungency of the chilies, i use one or two in the chutney. you can add as per your requirements.
this coconut chutney goes well with the fasting or vrat snacks that are made during navratri, ekadashi or janmashtami. it also goes very well with idli, dosa and medu vada. in the above pic, the coconut chutney is served with a no onion medu vada.
coconut chutney for fasting or vrat:
- ¾ to 1 cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 green chilies or as required
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- water as required
- grind all the three ingredients with little water till smooth.
- don’t make the chutney too watery.
- serve coconut chutney with vrat or fasting snacks.
- this coconut chutney also goes well with the regular idli, dosa and medu vada.