Roasted chana dal chutney recipe with step by step photos – quick chutney recipe for idli, dosa, medu vada or uttapam made with roasted chana dal.
Roasted chana dal or bengal gram is also called as daria dal or bhuna chana dal or dalia. Not to be confused with dalia which is broken wheat.
The recipe does use some fresh coconut, but the amount of chana dal is more than coconut. In the absence of fresh coconut, you can easily add desiccated coconut. Tempering in this recipe is also optional and you can just skip it. the recipe is a quick one and gets done within 15 minutes, if you have grated coconut handy.
This roasted chana dal chutney goes very well with any South Indian tiffin snack.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
chana dal chutney
to be ground:
- 5 tablespoon roasted chana dal (bengal gram or daria dal or bhuna chana dal)
- 2 tablespoon grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 green chilies or 1 to 1.5 teaspoon chopped green chilies
- 4 to 5 tablespoon water
for tempering chana dal chutney:
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- Take 5 tbsp chana dal, 2 tbsp grated coconut or desiccated coconut, 1 to 1.5 green chilies, ginger and salt as required in a chutney grinder jar.
- Add 4 to 5 tbsp water and grind to a smooth chutney.
- Remove the chutney in a small pan or bowl.
- In another small pan or tadka pan, heat 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Add mustard and allow them to crackle.
- Then add the curry leaves.
- Saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
- Pour the entire tempering ingredients along with the hot oil in the chutney.
- Stir very well and serve roasted chana dal chutney with idli, medu vadai or dosa or any south indian tiffin breakfast.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Step by step roasted chana dal chutney
1. In a chutney grinder jar take 5 tbsp roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram), 2 tbsp grated coconut or desiccated coconut, ½ inch ginger (chopped), 1 to 1.5 tsp green chilies and salt as required. You can add more green chilies for a spicy taste.
2. add 4 to 5 tbsp water and grind to a smooth chutney.
3. Remove the chutney in a small pan or bowl.
4. in another small pan or tadka pan, heat ½ tbsp oil. add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
5. then add 5 to 6 curry leaves.
6. saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
7. pour the entire tempering ingredients along with the hot oil in the chutney. Stir very well.
8. Serve roasted chana dal chutney with rava idli or rava dosa or masala dosa or medu vada or mysore bajji or with any South Indian tiffin breakfast.