coconut chutney recipe for idli and dosa – coconut chutney is our favorite accompaniment to go with south indian tiffin breakfast like dosas and idlis. we are fond of coconut chutney and sambar served with idli, dosa and medu vada. in fact my mom-in-law who is actually a punjabi, loves south indian food, especially masala dosa, idli, medu vada, sambar and rasam. all other south indian recipes made with coconut are her favorite.
i had specially made masala dosa for my mom-in-law. as an accompaniment with the masala dosa, i made this coconut chutney.
few tips for making coconut chutney recipe:
- if you want a little sourness in the chutney, you could add the following ingredients to impart sourness:
– tamarind: Take about 1/2 to 1 tsp of tamarind and grind it with the rest of the ingredients.
– curd/yoghurt: when the chutney mixture is ready, mix it with 2 to 3 tbsp curd/yogurt. this has to be done before you temper the coconut chutney.
- coconut chutney has to be consumed fresh. avoid keeping the chutney for long outside. if you have to keep it for some hours, then keep it in the freezer section of your refrigerator. However, consume the coconut chutney in a day.
- adding tamarind to the chutney increases its shelf life a little more. that is the chutney does not spoil quickly if you add tamarind to it.
- if you are using desiccated coconut or coconut powder, use warm water while grinding the chutney.
coconut chutney recipe below:
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut or 1 cup desiccated coconut (coconut powder)
- 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (bhuna chana)
- 1 green chili/hari mirch
- ½ inch ginger/adrak
- salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (split, skinned black gram)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/rai or sarson
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 sprig of curry leaves/kadi patta. 9 to 10 curry leaves
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1 red chili/sabut lal mirch
- ½ tablespoon oil (sesame or peanut or sunflower oil)
- grind together all the ingredients mentioned in (A) to a smooth consistency.
- heat oil in a small pan. add the mustard seeds. when the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the cumin seeds and urad dal. fry till the urad dal till it becomes golden.
- then add the curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida. fry till the curry leaves become crisp and the red chilies changes color.
- switch off the flame and immediately pour the tempering on the coconut chutney.
- mix it well with the coconut chutney.
- serve coconut chutney with idli, dosa, vada or pakoda of your choice.
there are few more coconut chutney recipes posted on the blog like:
1. hotel style coconut chutney
2. coconut chutney for fasting
3. mint coconut chutney
4. coriander coconut chutney
5. garlic coconut chutney
6. red chilli coconut chutney
7. coconut curd chutney
8. sesame coconut chutney recipe
9. kerala style red coconut chutney
step by step coconut chutney recipe:
1. take 1 cup freshly grated coconut in a chutney grinder jar or a small grinder jar.
2. then add 1 green chili (chopped) and ½ inch ginger (chopped).
3. next add 2 tablespoons roasted chana dal.
4. add ¼ cup water.
5. grind to a smooth consistency. if unable to grind or the chutney looks thick, then you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons more water.
6. remove the coconut chutney in a heat proof bowl like a steel bowl or a pyrex bowl.
tempering for coconut chutney recipe:
6. in a small pan or a tadka pan, heat ½ tablespoon sesame oil. you can also use sunflower oil or peanut oil or any neutral flavored oil. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
7. once the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add 1 teaspoon urad dal.
8. next add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
9. fry till the urad dal turns golden.
10. then add 1 dry red chili, 1 sprig of curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida/hing.
11. fry till the curry leaves become crisp and the red chili changes color.
12. switch off the flame and pour the tempering along with the oil in the coconut chutney.
13. mix well and serve coconut chutney with idli, dosa, vada or pakoda of your choice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media