pudina pachadi recipe with step by step photos. this pudina chutney with coconut is made with fresh mint leaves, coconut and spices. this pudina pachadi is one more variation of using fresh herbs while making chutney varieties. it goes well with south indian snacks like idli, dosa, vada, bonda or uttapam. you can also have it with upma, rava dosa, pakoda, rava idli or sandwich.
you can make the same recipe with coriander leaves replacing the mint leaves or a mix of both. i sometimes add mint and sometimes coriander leaves while making this mint coconut chutney variety. another south indian variety of pudina chutney that i make is pudina thogayal. this is a thick chutney that is served with steamed rice or a rice-based dish.
i have grown mint in my balcony garden so that i always have ample stock of mint for chutneys or for garnishing any dish or for making recipes like pudina rice or pudina paratha. mint is cooling and excellent for digestion. few more ideas to include herbs in coconut chutney are green coconut chutney or basil coconut chutney.
i had made this mint coconut chutney to go with rava dosa. it is best to consume the chutney as soon as it is made. leftover can be refrigerated and consumed within a day.
you can vary the amount of mint leaves as per your liking. to give more green color add more mint leaves. it will also increase the mint flavors in the pachadi.
how to make pudina pachadi
1. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making coconut pudina chutney.
2. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan.
3. add ⅓ to ½ cup mint leaves, 8 to 9 curry leaves and ½ inch ginger which is roughly chopped.
4. fry till the mint and curry leaves become crisp.
5. remove this mixture from the pan and let it cool.
6. in a chutney grinder or blender, add ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen), 1 or 2 chopped green chilies and 1 tablespoon bengal gram (roasted chana dal).
7. also add fried mixture of mint leaves, curry leaves and ginger.
8. next add salt as required.
9. pour about ¼ or ½ cup water.
10. grind to a smooth paste.
11. remove the chutney in a heatproof bowl.
tempering for pudina pachadi
12. in the same pan, add oil if required.
13. add ½ or ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
14. then add 8 to 9 curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing).
15. fry for some seconds.
16. pour the tempering mixture along with the oil in the pudina pachadi.
17. mix and stir well.
18. serve pudina coconut chutney immediately with snacks like rava idli or rava dosa or sada dosa or uttapam or medu vada.
more chutney recipes
INGREDIENTS FOR pudina pachadi
main ingredients for pudina pachadi
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅓ to ½ cup mint leaves (pudina)
- 8 to 9 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ inch ginger - roughly chopped
- ½ cup grated coconut - fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped
- 1 tablespoon bengal gram (roasted chana dal)
- ¼ or ½ cup water or as required
for tempering pudina pachadi
- ½ or ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 8 to 9 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
HOW TO MAKE pudina pachadi
making pudina pachadi
- heat oil in a small pan.
- fry the mint leaves, curry leaves and ginger till the mint and curry leaves become crisp.
- remove this mixture from the pan and let it cool.
- in a chutney grinder or blender, add ½ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen), 1 or 2 chopped green chilies and 1 tablespoon bengal gram (roasted chana dal).
- also add fried mixture of mint leaves, curry leaves and ginger.
- next add salt as required and about ¼ or ½ cup water. grind to a smooth paste.
tempering pudina pachadi
- in the same pan, add oil if required.
- add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- then add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry for some seconds.
- pour the tempering mixture along with the oil in the pudina pachadi.