coriander coconut chutney recipe with step by step photos. this green coconut chutney is another variation of coconut chutney which goes well with idli, dosa, vada, uttapam, upma or other south indian tiffin snacks.
if you are having idli or dosa then a coconut chutney is kind of must with these snacks. i made this chutney with besan cheela made from besan (gram flour) and spices.
the green coconut chutney has a raw taste of cilantro. so, if you don’t like the raw taste of cilantro then you can fry the cilantro leaves in little oil and add them, while grinding the chutney.
the recipe for this green coconut chutney was taken from a cookbook it turned out well. i modified the quantities a lot and the method of preparation to suit us. the chutney can also be served with sandwiches, fritters or pakoras. stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator. the next day we had this chutney with potato bonda.
how to make coriander coconut chutney
1. firstly rinse the coriander leaves in the water a couple of times and drain well.
2. chop the coriander leaves. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making coriander coconut chutney.
3. in a blender jar, add ¾ cup tightly packed coriander leaves and ¾ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen).
4. next add 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of roasted chana dal, ½ inch chopped ginger and 1 chopped green chili.
5. also add ½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt as required.
6. lastly add ½ cup water or as required.
7. grind all the ingredients in the blender, till smooth.
8. remove the chutney in a heatproof bowl like a steel or a pyrex bowl. taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
tempering the cilantro coconut chutney
9. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making tempering for the chutney.
10. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small frying pan.
11. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai) and ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram).
12. let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
13. add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and 8 to 10 curry leaves.
14. fry them for some seconds.
15. pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the coconut chutney.
16. stir very well.
17. serve green coconut chutney with south indian snacks like rava idli, dosa or vada or uttapam or mysore bonda.
more chutney recipes
coriander coconut chutney
INGREDIENTS FOR coriander coconut chutney
main ingredients for green coconut chutney
- ¾ tightly packed coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- ¾ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1.5 or 2 tablespoon of roasted chana dal
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as required
- ½ cup water or add as required
for tempering green coconut chutney
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil
HOW TO MAKE coriander coconut chutney
- grind coriander leaves, grated coconut fresh or frozen, roasted chana dal, ginger, green chili, sugar, lemon juice along salt and ½ cup water or as required. grind till smooth.
- taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
- heat oil in a small frying pan.
- add the mustard seeds & urad dal.
- let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
- add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- fry for some seconds.
- pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the coconut chutney and stir.
- serve cilantro coconut chutney with idli, dosa or vada.