coriander coconut chutney recipe with step by step photos. this chutney is another variation of coconut chutney which goes well with idli, dosa, vada, uttapam, upma or other south indian tiffin snacks.
the chutney has a raw taste of coriander. so, if you don’t like the raw taste of coriander then you can fry the coriander leaves in little oil and add them, while grinding the chutney.
the recipe for this coconut chutney was taken from a cook book it turned out well. i modified the quantities a lot and the method of preparation to suit us. the chutney can also be served with sandwich, fritters or pakoras. stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator. the next day we had this chutney with potato bonda.
there are many many variations of making coconut chutney. e.g. here is one quick recipe for hotel style coconut chutney or you can combine coconut with other ingredients to come up with chutneys like these mint coconut chutney, coconut curd chutney or sesame chutney.
coriander coconut chutney recipe card below:
coriander coconut chutney recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for coconut chutney:
- ¾ tightly packed coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¾ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1.5 or 2 tablespoon of roasted chana dal
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as required
- ½ cup water or add as required
for tempering coconut chutney:
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- 8-10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil
how to make recipe
grind coriander leaves, grated coconut fresh or frozen, roasted chana dal, ginger, green chili, sugar, lemon juice along salt and ½ cup water or as required. grind till smooth.
taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
- heat oil in a small frying pan.
add the mustard seeds & urad dal.
- let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
- add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- fry for some seconds.
pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the coconut chutney and stir.
serve coriander coconut chutney with idli, dosa or vada.
how to make coriander coconut chutney recipe:
1. firstly rinse the coriander leaves in water a couple of times and drain well.
2. chop the coriander leaves. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making coriander coconut chutney.
3. in a blender jar, add ¾ cup tightly packed coriander leaves (dhania patta) and ¾ cup grated coconut (fresh or frozen).
4. next add 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of roasted chana dal, ½ inch chopped ginger (adrak) and 1 chopped green chili (hari mirch).
5. also add ½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt as required.
6. lastly add ½ cup water or as required.
7. grind all the ingredients in the blender, till smooth.
8. remove the chutney in a heatproof bowl like a steel or a pyrex bowl. taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
9. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making tempering for the chutney.
10. heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small frying pan.
11. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai) and ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram).
12. let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
13. add 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing) and 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta).
14. fry them for some seconds.
15. pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the coconut chutney.
16. stir very well.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe