chana sundal is a south indian stir fried dish made with white chickpeas. sundal is basically a dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
they are very easy to prepare and make for a healthy brunch or snack. since they are quick to prepare, they can also be served as a side dish.
i usually soak the beans, overnight and then pressure cook them. once they are cooked soft, its just easy to temper them and add some fresh coconut. this is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
this chickpea sundal is so good with the aroma & flavor of mustard, black gram, curry leaves and the freshness of the coconut in the softly cooked chickpeas….. that it can be just had on its own without any accompaniments.
chana sundal recipe details below:
- 1 cup dried white chickpeas
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal/spilt skinned black gram
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 dry red chilies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- salt as required
- rinse and soak the chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- drain and pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with 1 tsp salt and 3 to 4 cups water till they are cooked till soft.
- drain and keep aside.
- heat oil in a pan.
- add the mustard and urad dal.
- the mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
- they almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
- immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida.
- fry for 10-15 seconds.
- now add the cooked chickpeas and salt.
- stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- switch off the flame and add the coconut.
- stir well.
- serve the chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media