pomegranate raita recipe with step by step photos. this pomegranate raita is a pleasant fruity raita. like all the other raita recipes, this pomegranate raita too is very simple and easy to prepare. fresh pomegranate arils in a creamy sweet spiced yogurt base in a raita, that is as good as a sweet dessert.
for our sweet tastebuds, we prefer sweet with sweet. however, if you prefer the salty version, then just don’t add sugar to the pomegranate raita. but do spice it up with roasted cumin powder, black pepper and some chaat masala for that extra pep.
if making a salty version of pomegranate raita, then just add black salt or rock salt as required in the raita along with all the three spice powders mentioned above. if making for religious fasting (vrat), than add rock salt (sendha namak) only.
there are few more variations of making pomegranate raita… like some people add pomegranate juice or boiled potatoes or finely chopped onions and cucumber to the raita. i have kept this pomegranate raita plain and simple as we like this way. but you can try and experiment with your raita recipe.
this pomegranate raita is so good that you can have it plain. you can also serve it as a side dish with a biryani, pulao, saffron rice or even jeera rice.
pomegranate raita even goes well with indian chaat snacks like aloo tikki chole, papdi chaat, ragda patties and dahi puri.
if you are looking for more raita recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR pomegranate raita
- 1.5 cups chilled yogurt (curd or dahi) - dairy or vegan
- ¾ cup fresh pomegranate arils (anardana)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 1 pinch red chili powder (lal mirch powder), or as required
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder (optional)
- 1 pinch of black salt or rock salt. add rock salt if making for religious fasting or vrat
- sugar as required
- a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish
HOW TO MAKE pomegranate raita
- whisk the yogurt till smooth.
- now add sugar as required. stir well till sugar is dissolved.
- season with roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder, red chili powder, chaat masala powder (optional) and salt. mix well.
- add the pomegranate arils and reserve a few for garnish.
- stir and pour the pomegranate raita in serving bowls. garnish with the pomegranate pearls and coriander or mint leaves.
- you can also chill and serve the pomegranate raita later.
- while making pomegranate raita for kids, skip the black pepper powder and red chili powder.
- if using cashew yogurt, then to get a sour taste in the yogurt (as cashew yogurt has a sweet taste) add ½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required.
how to make pomegranate raita recipe
1. firstly slice 1 pomegranate (anardana) and remove the pomegranate arils. you need about ¾ cup of pomegranate arils. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making pomegranate raita.
2. take 1.5 cups of chilled yogurt (curd or dahi) in a bowl or vessel and whisk the yogurt till smooth.
3. now add sugar as required. i added 1 tablespoon of sugar to the raita but you can skip sugar if you like the salty version.
4. stir well till sugar is dissolved.
5. season with ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder), ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder), 1 pinch red chili powder (lal mirch powder), ¼ teaspoon chaat masala powder (optional) and 1 pinch of black salt or rock salt. if you are making for religious fasting (vrat) then add rock salt. otherwise you can use black salt or regular salt.
6. start mixing the spice powders with a wired whisk or spoon.
7. mix the spice powders very well.
8. add ¾ cup of pomegranate arils and reserve a few for garnish.
9. mix well.
10. stir and pour the pomegranate raita in serving bowls. garnish the raita with the pomegranate pearls and coriander or mint leaves. you can also chill and then serve the pomegranate raita later.