palak raita recipe with step by step photos – i often make raitas and salads as side accompaniments along with the main dish at home. usually i make a simple indian onion tomato raita or cucumber raita. for special occasions, its boondi raita.
this day green was calling me and so i made this simple and easy palak raita. since i had made chana pulao this day, i had to make a raita. and what better than having some greens in your raita. i have used yogurt but my vegan readers can use cashew curd to make this palak raita.
serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. raita goes very well with rice based dishes.
few more raita recipes on the blog are:
palak raita recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup chopped and tightly packed spinach (palak)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch turmeric (haldi)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon saunf powder (fennel powder) - optional
- black pepper powder as required - optional
- 4 to5 mint leaves, (pudina patta)
- 1 cup yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil
- rock salt or black salt as required
How to Make Recipe
- whisk the yogurt and keep aside.
- heat oil. add the carom seeds and fry for few seconds.
- add the chopped ginger and fry for some seconds
- add the chopped spinach (palak).
- add all the spice powders one by one along with salt.
- saute till the spinach stops releasing water.
- lastly add the mint and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- add this mixture to the yogurt.
- sprinkle some pepper. stir well.
- you can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving.
- serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. raita goes very well with rice based dishes.
how to make palak raita recipe
1. whisk 1 cup yogurt (curd or dahi) and keep aside.
2. chop the spinach leaves (palak). measure and keep all the spices and ingredients ready for making palak raita.
3. heat 2 to 3 teaspoon oil in a pan.
4. add ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera).
5. fry them for few seconds, till they crackle.
6. then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
7. fry ginger for some seconds till its raw aroma goes away.
8. then add 1 cup chopped spinach leaves (palak).
9. stir well.
10. then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder), 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi), 1 pinch garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder) and salt as required.
11. mix very well.
12. saute till the spinach stops releasing water and wilts.
13. lastly add 4 to 5 mint leaves.
14. saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
15. add this mixture to the yogurt.
16. stir well.
17. sprinkle some black pepper powder (optional) and mix well.
18. remove the palak raita in a serving bowl. you can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving. serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. raita goes very well with rice based dishes.