Palak raita recipe with step by step photos – i often make raitas and Salad as side accompaniments along with the main dish at home. Usually I make a simple Indian Onion raita or Cucumber raita. for special occasions, its Boondi raita.
This day green was calling me and so I made this Simple and easy palak raita. since I had made chana pulao this day, I had to make a raita. And what better than having some greens in your raita. i have used yogurt but my vegan readers can use cashew curd to make this palak raita.
I served the Palak raita with chana pulao and Kachumber salad. this raita recipe can also be used for fasting or vrat as well.
Serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or veg biryani or veg pulao. Raita goes very well with rice based dishes.
How to make palak raita
1. Whisk 1 cup yogurt (curd) and keep aside.
2. Chop the spinach leaves (palak). Measure and keep all the spices and ingredients ready for making palak raita.
3. Heat 2 to 3 teaspoon oil in a pan.
4. Add ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
5. Fry them for few seconds, till they crackle.
6. Then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
7. Fry ginger for some seconds till its raw aroma goes away.
8. Then add 1 cup chopped spinach leaves.
9. Stir well.
10. Then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon coriander powder, 1 pinch turmeric powder, 1 pinch garam masala powder, ¼ teaspoon fennel powder and salt as required.
11. Mix very well.
12. Saute till the spinach stops releasing water and wilts.
13. Lastly add 4 to 5 mint leaves.
14. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Making palak raita
15. Add this mixture to the yogurt.
16. Stir well.
17. Sprinkle some black pepper powder (optional) and mix well.
18. Remove the palak raita in a serving bowl. You can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving. Serve Palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or veg biryani or veg pulao. Raita goes very well with rice based dishes like chole biryani or matar pulao.
Few more tasty recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 cup chopped and tightly packed spinach (palak)
- ½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon saunf powder (fennel powder) - optional
- black pepper powder as required - optional
- 4 to5 mint leaves,
- 1 cup yogurt (curd)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon oil
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or black salt, as required
- Whisk the yogurt and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add the carom seeds and fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped ginger and fry for some seconds
sauteing palak to make palak raita
- Add the chopped spinach (palak).
- Add all the spice powders one by one along with salt.
- Saute till the spinach stops releasing water.
- Lastly add the mint and saute for 1-2 minutes.
making palak raita
- Add this mixture to the yogurt.
- Sprinkle some pepper. Stir well.
- You can refrigerate the raita for a couple of hours before serving.
- Serve palak raita as side accompaniments with a dal rice or roti sabzi or biryani or pulao. Raita goes very well with rice based dishes.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later