Masala raita recipe with step by step photos – tasty masala raita for biryani and pulao, prepared with spice powders and onions.
We prefer to have a side dish with roti-sabzi or dal-rice combo. So I usually prepare a raita or a quick stir fry veggie dish. Not only one gets more variety, but these are healthy too.
This masala raita as the name suggests have some spice powders apart from onions and coriander leaves. adding onions are optional in the raita. We like onions in raita, as it gives a nice crunch to the raita. Thus I add them. But you can skip them also.
I always prepare curd a night before, for making any curd based dishes like raita or curd rice. You can use store bought curd also.
The curd can be used once its set or even chilled curd can be used. Refrigerate this raita after preparing it. You can also serve the raita chilled.
Serve masala raita With Dal-rice or roti-sabzi combo or stuffed parathas. This raita also goes very well with any veg pulao or biryani.
How to make spiced raita or masala raita
1. in a small bowl take 1 cup fresh dahi (curd or yogurt).
2. with a wired whisk, whip till smooth.
3. now add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
4. now add spices – ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder, ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder and ¼ teaspoon black salt. Instead of black salt you can also add regular salt as required. The amount of spices can vary as per your requirement.
5. Mix very well.
6. Serve masala raita as a side dish with roti-sabzi or dal rice combo. While serving you can garnish the raita with some chopped coriander leaves, red chili powder, chaat masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
If you are looking for more similar recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
masala raita recipe
- 1 cup fresh or chilled curd (dahi or yogurt) or 300 grams curd
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon black salt or add regular salt as required
- In a small bowl take 1 cup fresh dahi (curd or yogurt).
- With a wired whisk, whip till smooth.
- Now add 1/3 cup finely chopped onions and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
- Add all the spice powders including salt. Mix very well.
- Serve masala raita as a side dish with roti-sabzi or dal rice combo or pulao-biryani.
- While serving you can garnish the raita with some chopped coriander leaves, red chili powder, chaat masala powder and roasted cumin powder.
2. You can add spices as per your requirements.
3. You can use mint leaves instead of coriander leaves or half-half of both.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later