burhani raita recipe with step by step photos – here is a quick raita that can be made in a few minutes. the burhani or boorani raita is from the hyderabadi cuisine and is usually served with biryani.
the specialty of this raita is the addition of garlic to the yogurt. if you do not prefer the raw taste and aroma of garlic, then you can also saute the garlic in oil or ghee and then add to the yogurt.
apart from garlic, the raita is spiced with roasted cumin powder, chili powder and salt. you can use either yellow chili powder or red chili powder.
this raita goes best with a rice based dish like the hyderabadi vegetable biryani, veg pulao, biryani in pressure cooker or pulaos. you can even serve it as a side dish with a mughlai or north indian vegetable dish along with rotis.
vegans can prepare the same raita with vegan yogurt like cashew yogurt or almond yogurt. raitas are excellent for summers as they are cooling in nature.
boorani or burhani raita recipe card below:
boorani raita recipe | burhani raita recipe
burhani raita recipe - a creamy raita from the hyderabadi cuisine, flavored with garlic, roasted cumin powder and red chili powder. easy and quick raita recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup full fat yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves (lahsun) - crushed finely or minced
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or yellow chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- black salt or regular salt as required
how to make recipe
- with a wired whisk whip the yogurt till smooth.
- crush the garlic or mince them and add to the yogurt.
add the red chili powder, roasted cumin powder and salt. stir well.
you can also garnish the raita with a bit of roasted cumin powder and red chili powder.
- serve burhani raita chilled or immediately. consume on the same day.
how to make boorani or burhani raita recipe:
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making boorani raita.
2. take 1 cup full fat curd (yogurt or dahi) in a bowl. with a wired whisk begin to beat the curd.
3. beat the curd till smooth.
4. crush 1 to 2 garlic cloves (lahsun) or mince them and add to the curd.
5. mix them well.
6. add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or yellow chili powder), ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder and salt as required.
7. stir well.
8. while serving raita, you can also garnish it with a bit of roasted cumin powder and red chili powder. if not serving immediately then keep the burhani raita in refrigerator.
9. serve burhani raita chilled or immediately. consume on the same day.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe