kachumber salad recipe – kachumber or kuchumber salad is a good side dish that goes well with almost any indian dishes. basically kachumber is onion-tomato-cucumber salad tossed with indian spices and herbs.
i always mention about kachumber in most of the indian recipes i post, but never had a separate post on this indian salad.
in old time, when most families were staying in joint family then it was the norm to have a complete meal which includes rice, chapati, vegetable sabzi, dal, salad, curd, pickle and chutney. the best part about such meal was that they used to give us all the nutrition needed for our body. but now most of us stay in nuclear families and we don’t have time to make such elaborate meals everyday.
in the current time, its important that we eat raw veggies and make it a part of our diet and that’s where salads become such an important part of our meals. you can easily include cucumber, carrot, tomato, onion, lettuce, radish, bell peppers, blanched beans, boiled corn, boiled peas, moong sprouts and alfalfa sprouts in your salads.
in this kachumber, adding green chili is optional. only add if you are used to eating raw green chilies 🙂 however you can spice this salad with some red chili powder if not adding chilies.
if you are looking for more salad recipes then do check:
kachumber salad recipe below:
kachumber salad recipe | kuchumber salad recipe
kachumber recipe - indian salad packed with punch and flavors.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped (pyaaz)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped (tamatar)
- 2 to 3 small sized cucumber, chopped (kheera)
- 4 to 5 mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (dhania ke patte)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- a few lemon pieces for garnish
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) - optional
- 1 green chili or ¼ teaspoon red chili powder - optional
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
how to make recipe
- after cutting the vegetables take all of them in a bowl.
- add the rest of the ingredients
- toss the salad well so that the ingredients are mixed evenly.
- check the seasoning and add more salt or lemon juice, if required
- serve the kachumber salad immediately.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe