Chana pulao recipe with step by step photos. This is a one-pot spiced fragrant chickpea pilaf made with basmati rice, white chickpeas, herbs and spices.
This is one of those rare pulaos that was not much made at home. Whilst studying in college, we had a Hyderabadi aunty as our neighbor who would make fabulous pulaos and biryanis. The rice was always cooked to perfection and the taste of her pulaos and biryanis were just heavenly. I still do remember her chana pulao and it used to be awesome.
Well, while making this pulao recipe and writing this post I do remember the aroma and taste of her chana pulao. Another rice recipe you can make with chana is this Chana biryani.
For the chana pulao obviously you have to first cook the chickpeas (sAfed chana or kabuli chana in hindi). If you have leftover boiled chickpeas than these too can be added. Canned chickpeas can also be added.
The chole pulao has to be made with basmati rice and ghee or else something will be a little amiss if you do not use basmati rice and ghee. This is a simple and easy pulao to make.
This pulao can be served with any raita and a side salad. I served the chole pulao with palak raita and onion-tomato salad-kachumber.
How to make chana pulao
1. Rinse and then soak ¾ cup chickpeas/chole/chana overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
2. Drain them well. Then add to the pressure cooker. Also add about ½ tsp of salt.
3. Add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
4. Pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or for about 20 minutes, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked very well.
5. Again drain the cooked chickpeas and keep aside.
6. Rinse 1 cup heaped basmati rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. Later strain and keep aside.
7. In a small grinder or chutney grinder or magic bullet, add ¾ inch ginger (chopped), 3 to 4 garlic (chopped), 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves, 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1 green chili (chopped).
8. Make a semi-fine or a fine paste of the ingredients with ½ to 1 tbsp water. Keep this green paste aside.
Making chana pulao
9. In a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – ½ tsp caraway seeds, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamom, 1 to 2 single strands of mace, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 to 3 cloves and 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf). Saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant.
10. Then add sliced onions.
11. Saute the onions till light brown or golden brown.
12. Now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
13. Next add the chopped tomatoes. stir and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
14. then add a pinch of turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder and a pinch of garam masala powder. Mix well.
15. Add basmati rice.
16. Mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
17. Add ½ tsp lemon juice.
18. Then add a pinch of saffron threads (optional). Mix everything well.
19. Add the drained cooked chickpeas.
20. Then add water.
21. Season with salt and stir well. pressure cook on a medium for 2 to 3 whistles or for 10 to 12 minutes. I pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
22. When the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker. gently fluff the rice.
23. Garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves and Serve chana pulao hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.
More Pulao recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- ¾ cup white chickpeas (safed chana or kabuli chana or chole)
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice, 200 grams rice
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 pinch saffron strands - optional,
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice or 1 teaspoon yogurt (curd)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- a few chopped mint leaves for garnish (or coriander keaves)
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 small green cardamom
- 2 single thin strand of mace
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
for the green paste
- ¾ inch ginger, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro leaves)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon water for grinding
- Rinse and soak white chickpeas (chana or chole) overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
- Drain them well.
- Then add the drained chickpeas to the pressure cooker. Add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
- Also add about 1/2 tsp of salt and pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or more, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked well.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and keep aside.
- Rinse the rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
- Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. Strain and keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of the ingredients, mentioned under 'green paste' in a chutney grinder or magic bullet with very little water. Keep this green paste aside
- Slice the onion and chop the tomato.
making chana pulao
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- Saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions till golden brown.
- Now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for two minutes.
- Next add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice. Mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
- Add the drained cooked chana (chickpeas).
- Add the curd or lemon juice, saffron threads and again mix everything well.
- Now add 1.75 cups of water.
- Season with salt and pressure cook the pulao for 2 to 3 whistles. I pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker.
- Gently fluff the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves.
- Serve chana pulao hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.
- Just add 2 cups water to the rice in a deep pot or pan.
- Cover and cook till the rice grains are done and all the water is absorbed.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.