chana pulao recipe with step by step photos – one pot spiced fragrant pulao recipe made with cooked chickpeas.
chana pulao one of those rare pulaos that was not much made at home. whilst studying in college, we had a hyderabadi aunty as our neighbor who would make fabulous pulaos and biryanis. the rice was always cooked to perfection and the taste of her pulaos and biryanis were just heavenly. i still do remember her chana pulao and it used to be awesome.
well, while making this chana pulao recipe and writing this post i do remember the aroma and taste of her chana pulao. few more delicious chana recipes on blog are:
for the chana pulao obviously you have to first cook the chickpeas (safed chana or kabuli chana in hindi). if you have leftover boiled chickpeas than these too can be added. canned chickpeas can also be added.
the chole pulao has to be made with basmati rice and ghee or else something will be a little amiss if you do not use basmati rice and ghee. this is a simple and easy pulao to make.
the chana pulao can be served with any raita and a side salad. I served the chole pulao with palak raita and onion-tomato salad-kachumber.
chole pulao or chana pulao recipe below:
chana pulao recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for chana pulao
- ¾ cup white chickpeas (safed chana or kabuli chana or chole)
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice, 200 grams rice
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch saffron strands - optional, (kesar)
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice or 1 teaspoon yogurt (dahi or curd)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- a few chopped mint leaves for garnish (or coriander keaves)
- salt as required
whole spices for chana pulao
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shahjeera)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 small green cardamom (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 single thin strand of mace (jayitri or javitri)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
for the green paste
- ¾ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic, chopped (lahsun)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon water for grinding
how to make chana pulao recipe
preparation for chana pulao
rinse and soak the chana (white chickpeas or chole) overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
drain them well.
then add the drained chana to the pressure cooker. add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
- also add about 1/2 tsp of salt and pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or more, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked well.
drain the cooked chana and keep aside.
- rinse the rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
- then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. strain and keep aside.
- make a smooth paste of the ingredients, mentioned under 'green paste' in a chutney grinder or magic bullet with very little water. keep this green paste aside
- slice the onion and chop the tomato.
making chana pulao
- in a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add the sliced onions.
- saute the onions till golden brown.
- now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. add the chopped tomatoes and saute for two minutes.
- next add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice. mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
add the drained cooked chana (chickpeas).
- add the curd or lemon juice, saffron threads and again mix everything well.
- now add 1.75 cups of water.
season with salt and pressure cook chana pulao for 2 to 3 whistles. i pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
- when the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker.
- gently fluff the rice.
garnish the chana pulao with coriander leaves or mint leaves.
serve chana pulao hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.
- just add 2 cups water to the rice in a deep pot or pan.
- cover and cook till the rice grains are done and all the water is absorbed.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - chana pulao recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
step by step chickpea rice or chana pulao recipe:
1. rinse and then soak ¾ cup chickpeas/chole/chana overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
2. drain them well. then add to the pressure cooker. also add about ½ tsp of salt.
3. add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
4. pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or for about 20 minutes, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked very well.
5. again drain the cooked chickpeas/chana and keep aside.
6. rinse 1 cup heaped basmati rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. later strain and keep aside.
7. in a small grinder or chutney grinder or magic bullet, add ¾ inch ginger/adrak (chopped), 3 to 4 garlic/lahsun (chopped), 1 tbsp chopped mint/pudina patta, 3 tbsp chopped coriander/dhania patta and 1 green chili (chopped).
8. make a semi fine or a fine paste of the ingredients with ½ to 1 tbsp water. keep this green paste aside.
9. in a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – ½ tsp caraway seeds, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamom, 1 to 2 single strands of mace, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 to 3 cloves and 1 tej patta. saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant.
10. then add sliced onions.
12. now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
13. next add the chopped tomatoes. stir and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
14. then add a pinch of turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder and a pinch of garam masala powder. mix well.
15. add the basmati rice.
16. mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
17. add ½ tsp lemon juice.
18. then add a pinch of saffron threads (optional). mix everything well.
20. then add water.
23. garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves and serve chana pulao hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.