Muhammara recipe with step by step photos – Muhammara is a roasted red bell pepper dip from the middle eastern cuisine.
I have been wanting to make the muhammara from a long time when I saw it on natalie’s blog Here. all I was waiting was for pomegranate molasses thinking I would be able to get it here. But I have been not able to get the pomegranate molasses.
The wait became too much and then came the day when I had to make the muhammara. It did not matter whether I had the pomegranate molasses or not. What mattered was I have to make the muhammara 🙂
So I made the muhammara with honey. I also made it more spicy and garlicky to suit our Indian taste buds.
Muhammara is a really awesome dip and if you have not tried and then you should try it. Muhammara goes very will with toasted pita bread wedges, french fries, raw veggies, hara bhara kebab, falafel, veg cutlet and even the veg burger I had made.
It has that burnt roasted aroma of red bell pepper, a tanginess that comes from lemon juice and sweetness from the red bell pepper & honey. all in all so many tastes mingling in your senses.
Traditionally walnuts are used to make the muhammara. But I did not have them. So I have added almonds instead. The almonds have to be roasted before you blend them.
How to make muhammara
1. I only had one large red bell pepper and this gave me a small bowl of the dip.
2. I roasted the pepper on fire, just like we do for aubergines when making baingan bharta.
3. You have to completely char the pepper. It all became black… Keep it in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. then remove the crisp burnt black layer…
4. And what you get inside is soft cooked red pepper.
5. Chop the bell pepper.
6. And Then blend it with the rest of the ingredients to make muhammara.
Easy. Isn’t it…. A dip that can be made in a jiffy if you have all the ingredients.
Note: vegans can substitute cane sugar or any other vegan sweetener instead of honey. Best is to use pomegranate molasses if you can get them 🙂
If you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 to 3 garlic
- ½ cup roasted walnuts or almonds
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or pomegranate molasses or cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or red chili flakes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- roasted sesame seeds and coriander leaves or parsley for garnish
- Rinse the bell pepper and pat dry
- Roast the bell pepper on fire till it becomes black and chars.
- Keep it in a bowl of water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the charred peel with your fingers.
- Rinse the bell pepper again in water. Finely chop the bell pepper.
- Add all the ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.
- Serve muhammara in a bowl with a dash of olive oil, sesame seeds and parsley or coriander leaves
- the garlic can also be roasted if you prefer.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.