Masala onion salad recipe with step by step photos – spicy onions in a mix of lemon juice, spice powders and salt.
Masala onion is a condiment or a side dish that is served in some restaurants. Usually they are just mixed with a bit of red chili powder, salt and lemon juice and served. I do remember, the masala onion served in one of the jw mariott hotels as a side dish with Indian starters. They were of course spicy and tasted great, but the spice mix that they used was too good. I never bothered to ask them the recipe of the masala. I don’t think they would have shared with me their secret spice recipe. But I did ask them about two popular recipes and will try to share those.
I make this masala pyaaz usually as a side dish with some dal-rice or pulao or a starter like paneer tikka, hara bhara kababs, mushroom tikka, aloo tikka. The recipe mentioned here serves just one person. You can increase the quantities proportionately. The spices also can be adjusted to suit your taste buds.
You can prepare masala onion salad in a few minutes when you want to bring some zing and pep in your everyday meals and you do not have access to pickle or any other spicy condiment. It is great for folks who live away from home and do their own cooking. Do use onions which are not very pungent.
Few more tasty onion recipes for you!
- Sirke wale pyaaz (vinegar onion or pickled onions)
- Onion ring salad
- Ulli chammanthi (small onion chutney)
- Onion raita
- Onion chutney
- Onion tomato chutney
masala onion salad
- 1 medium onion or 50 grams onions or ⅓ cup sliced onions
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder) - optional
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- Peel and rinse 1 medium sized onion. Thinly slice them in to rounds or you can halve them and then slice. Take them in a small mixing bowl.
- Add all the spice powders, lemon juice, salt. Mix well.
- Lastly add 1 tsp each of chopped mint and coriander leaves. You can also just add either mint or coriander, if you do not have both.
- Mix very well. Check the seasonings and add more of the spices, lemon juice, salt if required.
- Serve masala onion salad with your meals.
- spices & lemon juice can be adjusted as per your taste.
- recipe can be doubled or tripled.
How to make masala onion salad recipe
1. Peel and rinse 1 medium sized onion. Thinly slice them in to rounds or you can halve them and then slice. Take them in a small mixing bowl.
2. Add ¼ tsp red chili powder.
3. Add ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder.
4. Add ¼ tsp chaat masala. You can also add ¼ tsp black pepper powder.
5. Add salt as per taste. You can add black salt, rock salt or regular salt.
6. Add 1 tsp lemon juice.
7. Add 1 tsp each of chopped mint and coriander leaves. You can also just add either mint or coriander leaves, if you do not have both.
8. Mix very well. Check the seasonings and add more of the spices, lemon juice, salt if required.
9. Serve masala onion salad With your meals.