sprouts salad recipe with step by step photos. moong sprouts salad is a very easy, tasty as well as a very healthy salad recipe. this salad made from moong sprouts is specially good for people who does not have much time for cooking or who does not know much about cooking specially college goers who are studying in hostel or staying away from family for job or studies. excellent recipe for the summers.
although you can get ready made sprouted moong beans from market but it is always better and healthy to sprout moong beans at home. i have already written a detailed post on how to sprout moong beans at home. you can also check my post on making mixed bean sprouts at home.
once the moong beans have been sprouted then we have a quick salad recipe in hand and we can easily flavor it as per your taste. you can be really innovative in making this salad spicy, crunchy, tangy or sweet. much is possible with sprouted moong beans. they are often added in some indian recipes like:
in this sprouts salad recipe, we need to steam or boil the sprouts till they are completely cooked. the water which we use to boil sprouts is generally discarded. but that water is very healthy and can be used for cooking or can be given to your plants or herbs which you are growing in your kitchen garden. if you want the moong sprouts to be crunchy then you can even keep it half cooked.
variations you can make in sprouts salad:
- i usually add finely chopped onion, tomato, green chilli and sprinkle black salt and few drops of lemon on it. this is how i often make this salad for breakfast. oh yes, this is the only salad which we have for breakfast.
- you can also add boiled potatoes in addition to onions and tomatoes. you can also substitute boiled potatoes with boiled sweet potatoes.
- if you want a sweet salad then add fruits and dry fruits of your choice. citrus fruits like orange and sweet lime will go very well with moong sprouts. other fruits you can add are pomegranate or mangoes.
- you can also boost the nutritive value of this salad by adding roasted peanuts or seeds like sunflower, sesame and pumpkin.
sprouts salad recipe below:
sprouts salad recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups of sprouted moong beans
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch) - finely chopped, optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 boiled potato or boiled sweet potato (shakarkandi) - optional - finely chopped
- few coriander leaves for garnishing
- lemon slices for garnishing
- rock salt or black salt as required
how to make sprouts salad recipe
boiling moong sprouts:
- first you have to sprout the moong beans
once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
then either steam it or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked.
- you can even keep it half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
- then strain the cooked sprouts.
making moong sprouts salad
take 2 cups of steamed or boiled moong sprouts in a big bowl or vessel.
add 1 small sized finely chopped onion and 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato.
next add 1 finely chopped green chili (hari mirch). also add 1 boiled potato (optional).
then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional). stir very well.
lastly, season with salt and pour 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required. mix well.
garnish moong sprouts salad with coriander leaves and lemon slices..
serve sprouts salad immediately.
how to make moong sprouts salad recipe:
1. first you have to sprout the moong beans.
2. once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
3. either steam or boil them till the moong sprouts are completely cooked. you can even keep it half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
4. then drain the water from the cooked moong sprouts.
5. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making moong sprouts salad.
6. take 2 cups of steamed or boiled moong sprouts in a big bowl or vessel.
7. add 1 small sized finely chopped onion and 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato.
8. next add 1 finely chopped green chili (hari mirch) and 1 boiled potato (optional).
9. then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) and ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional).
10. stir very well.
11. lastly, season with salt and pour 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required. mix well.
12. garnish moong sprouts salad with coriander leaves.
12. serve moong sprout salad immediately with few lemon wedges.