Sprouts Salad Recipe with step by step photos. Moong sprouts salad is a very easy, tasty as well as a very healthy salad recipe. Low Fat, Gluten Free and Vegan Recipe.
This salad made from moong sprouts is specially good for people who does not have much time for cooking or who does not know much about cooking specially college goers who are studying in a hostel or staying away from family for job or studies. An excellent recipe for the summers.
Although you can get ready-made sprouted moong beans from the market. But it is always better and healthy to sprout moong beans at home. i have already written a detailed post on How to sprout moong beans at home.
Once the moong beans have been sprouted then we have a quick salad recipe in hand and we can easily flavor it as per your taste. You can be really innovative in making this salad spicy, crunchy, tangy or sweet. much is possible with sprouted moong beans. They are often added in some Indian recipes like pani puri or bhel puri or usal or dahi papdi chaat.
In this sprouts salad recipe, we need to steam or boil the sprouts Till they are completely cooked. The water which we use to boil sprouts is generally discarded. But that water is very healthy and can be used for cooking or can be given to your plants or herbs which you are growing in your kitchen garden. If you want the moong sprouts to be crunchy then you can even keep it half cooked.
Variations you can make in sprouts salad
- I usually add finely chopped onion, tomato, green chilli and sprinkle black salt and few drops of lemon on it. This is how I often make this salad for breakfast. Oh yes, this is the only salad which we have for breakfast.
- You can also add boiled potatoes in addition to onions and tomatoes. You can also substitute boiled potatoes with boiled sweet potatoes.
- If you want a sweet salad then add fruits and dry fruits of your choice. citrus fruits like orange and sweet lime will go very well with moong sprouts. Other fruits you can add are pomegranate or mangoes.
- You can also boost the nutritive value of this salad by adding roasted peanuts or seeds like sunflower, sesame and pumpkin.
How to make moong sprouts salad
1. First you have to Sprout the moong beans.
2. Once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
3. Either steam or boil them till the moong sprouts are completely cooked. you can even keep it half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
4. Then drain the water from the cooked moong sprouts.
5. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making moong sprouts salad.
Making sprouts salad
6. Take 2 cups of steamed or boiled moong sprouts in a big bowl or vessel.
7. Add 1 small sized finely chopped onion and 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato.
8. Next add 1 finely chopped green chili and 1 boiled potato (optional).
9. Then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or cayenne pepper) and ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional).
10. Stir very well.
11. Lastly, season with salt and pour 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required. Mix well.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.
12. Serve moong sprout salad immediately with few lemon wedges.
More Salad recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 2 cups of sprouted moong beans
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli - finely chopped, optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required
- 1 boiled potato or boiled sweet potato - optional - finely chopped
- few coriander leaves for garnishing
- lemon slices for garnishing
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or black salt, as required
Boiling moong sprouts
- First you have to sprout the moong beans
- Once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
- Then either steam it or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked.
- You can even keep it half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
- Then strain the cooked sprouts.
Making moong sprouts salad
- Take 2 cups of steamed or boiled moong sprouts in a big bowl or vessel.
- Add 1 small sized finely chopped onion and 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato.
- Next add 1 finely chopped green chili (hari mirch). Also add 1 boiled potato (optional).
- Then add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (or cayenne pepper) and ½ or 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional). stir very well.
- Lastly, season with salt and pour 1 teaspoon lemon juice or as required. Mix well.
- Garnish the salad with coriander leaves and lemon slices..
- Serve sprouts salad immediately.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.