Looking for a quick side dish? Try this recipe for Onion Salad! This North Indian Onion Salad is a raw onion recipe that can either be made with red, white, or sweet onions depending on your tastes. A Vegan Dish.
Onion salad or Pyaaz ka lachcha as we call in Hindi is basically an easy salad made with onion rings. The English translation would be onion ring salad.
It is a quick side dish to prepare and often served in North Indian restaurants or Dhabas/roadside eateries. They are usually served with tandoori or grilled Indian snacks and appetizers.
They also pair well with Pulao, Biryani, tandoori dishes like Paneer tikka or any rich curry dish like Chana masala, Paneer butter masala, Shahi paneer, Kadai paneer or Malai kofta etc along with Naan or tandoori roti.
These onion rings salad are basically thinly sliced onion rings spiced with lemon juice, red chili powder and salt. So you can quickly make these lachcha onions at home to go as an accompaniment with a North Indian meal.
Another popular side dish made from onions that go well with tandoori items or rich curry dishes are Sirke wale pyaaz or pickled onions. Both these onion salad and sirke wale pyaaz are often served as accompaniment in many Indian restaurants.
When I make I usually add either chopped mint or coriander leaves to the salad. A dash of chaat masala also perks up this easy salad. In the absence of lemon juice you can use vinegar.
This Indian onion salad has to be served fresh and immediately. So only make the proportions which you would be serving.
How to make onion salad
1. Slice 1 large onion into thin rings or rounds.
2. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
3. In a bowl take the onion rings. Add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional), 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (or coriander leaves) and rock salt (or black salt) as required. Instead of rock salt you can also use regular salt.
4. Lastly, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar.
5. Mix together everything very well.
6. Check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder or lemon juice if required. Serve the onion salad immediately.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper or as required
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar or as required
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves or coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- rock salt (edible and food grade) or black salt or regular salt as required
- Slice 1 large onion into thin rings or rounds.
- In a bowl take the onion rings.
- Add red chili powder, chaat masala (optional) and chopped mint leaves.
- Also add salt as required.
- Then add lemon juice or vinegar.
- Mix together everything very well.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder or lemon juice if required.
- Serve the onion salad immediately.
- This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
- The amount of spices can be adjusted as per your preferences.