This avocado salad is my favorite salad and I make it pretty often – sometimes as a side and on occasions as a main meal with a nicely toasted sourdough loaf or bread.
The recipe is also vegan and gluten-free. This is a simple yet flavorful salad for the summers.
Though there are many ways an avocado salad is made. I am sharing a recipe that is a vegan and gluten-free version. This is one avocado salad that I make many times.
- Flavor profile: the subtle sweetness, smoothness and creaminess of the avocado give a sharp contrast to the crispness of the onions, the tanginess of the tomatoes and the lemon. The herbs and spices give a warming earthy flavor.
- Lemon dressing: a small quantity of lemon vinaigrette dressing is made just enough for the salad. Adding this lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic & olive oil in the dressing makes the salad very flavorful. Some spices are also added in the dressing which gives slightly spiced and warm tones in the salad.
- Smoked paprika: i must mention here that the addition of smoked paprika in the dressing brings some smokiness and heat in the salad. If you do not have smoked paprika, then you can easily substitute with cayenne or red chilli powder.
- Quick & easy: it is a breeze to make this salad and gets done in 10 to 20 minutes.
- Ripe avocado: For most avocado recipes, always use ripe avocado to get the best taste and texture. If the avocados are not ripe, then cover with a paper towel or brown paper and place them on the kitchen counter for some days till they ripen.
How to make avocado salad
Making the salad dressing
1. In a small bowl take 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 dash of lemon zest or zest from 1 small lemon.
2. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
3. Add ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1 small to medium garlic (minced or finely chopped). In place of smoked paprika you can use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or sweet paprika or red chilli powder.
4. Mix very well and keep the dressing aside.
Preparing avocado & veggies
5. Finely chop 1 small onion, chop 1 medium tomato and some parsley leaves. You will need ¼ cup finely chopped onions, ⅓ to ½ cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or coriander leaves (cilantro).
6. Place the chopped onions, tomatoes and parsley in a mixing bowl.
7. Now halve 2 medium-sized avocados.
8. Remove the seeds and scoop out the pulp with a spoon from the avocado halves.
9. Chop the avocado pulp. If you do not want to chop the avocado, then just the avocado pulp in the bowl. Mash and mix everything together.
Making avocado salad
10. Place the chopped avocados in the mixing bowl.
11. Stir and then pour the dressing.
12. Season with a dash of black salt (optional). Then add regular white salt or kosher salt or himalayan pink salt or rock salt. Adding black salt gives a slight eggy flavor in the salad. I have used a mix of both black salt and rock salt.
13. Toss and mix well.
14. Serve the avocado salad as a side or main. While serving garnish with some finely chopped parsley or cilantro (coriander leaves).
Tips & variations
- Some more crunch: you can add 1 small to medium-sized cucumber in the salad.
- Herbs: your choice of soft herbs can be added.
- Spices: some ground cumin or ground coriander can also be sprinkled on the salad.
- Substitution: instead of parsley, you can use cilantro (coriander leaves).
- Lemony & tangy: for a tangy taste, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Servings: the salad serves 3 if served as a side and 1 to 2 servings when served as a main.
- Optional: skip black salt if you do not have it.
- Make ahead: this salad can be made ahead and then refrigerated for a couple of hours. In this case just add the salts before you serve. But the salad is best when served fresh.
Some more awesome Salad recipes
This post from the archives originally published on 17 march 2014 has been republished and updated with step by step photos on 26 december 2019.
for lemon dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dash lemon zest or zest from 1 small lemon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small to medium garlic - minced or finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions or 1 small onion
- ⅓ to ½ cup chopped tomatoes or 1 medium-sized tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 2 medium-sized avocados - chopped, preferable to use hass avocado
- 1 dash black salt - optional
- white salt or kosher salt or himalayan pink salt - as per taste
making the salad dressing
- In a small bowl take the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Add the smoked paprika, black pepper and minced or finely chopped garlic.
- In place of smoked paprika you can use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or sweet paprika or red chilli powder.
- Mix very well and keep the dressing aside.
making avocado salad
- Take chopped onions, tomatoes and parsley in a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped avocado.
- Stir the dressing again and then pour it on the avocado.
- Season with a dash of black salt. Also, add white salt or kosher salt or himalayan pink salt or rock salt.
- Toss and mix well.
- Serve avocado salad as a side or a main.
- You can add 1 small to medium-sized cucumber in the salad.
- Your choice of soft herbs can be added.
- Some ground cumin can also be sprinkled on the salad.
- Instead of parsley you can use cilantro (coriander leaves).
- For a tangy taste, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- The salad serves 3 if served as a side and 1 to 2 servings when served as a main.
- Skip black salt if you do not have it and just add regular white salt or table salt.
- This salad can be made ahead and then refrigerated for a couple of hours. In this case just add the salts before you serve. However, best served fresh.