mango salad recipe with step by step photos – a quick salad made with raw mangoes and chopped onions. this is a sour, tangy and spiced mango salad. ‘khatta’ or sour tasting mangoes are complementing the slight pungency & sweetness of the onions.
the spices like roasted cumin powder and chili powder also perk up the flavors. some sugar is also added to balance the tartness of the mangoes. so thus the salad is tangy, spiced with a sweet mild taste. also this salad could be made in less than 20 mins.
usually i buy unripe mangoes to make mango pickle. apart from pickling them, i also make raw mango chaat, mango rice, green mango chutney, aam panna, aam chunda. i also add them to dals or curries on occasions. raw mangoes are used as a souring agent. example in the goan cuisine dried mango slices and even fresh unripe mangoes are added to various curries to give a sour taste.
this raw mango salad is a gujarati recipe and given by one of my gujarati friend. this is how the recipe is made in their home since ages. the recipe is simple yet flavorful and goes very well as a side dish with dal-rice, pulao, khichdi and veg pulao. you can also have this kachumber with plain parathas or aloo paratha.
if you are looking for more veg salad recipes then do check:
mango salad recipe below:
mango salad recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup finely chopped raw mangoes (kaccha aam), or 2 small or 1 medium to large raw mango/ kachi kairi (peeled and finely chopped into cubes)
- ¼ cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder or crushed coarsely
- 2 teaspoon sugar or jaggery powder
- salt as per taste
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish (or mint leaves)
how to make mango salad recipe
- rinse the mangoes and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel.
- peel their skin. chop the mangoes into cubes. the chopped raw mangoes should be about a cup.
- place the one cup chopped mangoes into a mixing bowl or wide dish. add the 1/4th cup finely chopped onion.
- sprinkle 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, 1/2 tsp roasted crushed cumin powder, 2 tsp sugar and salt as per taste.
- mix all nicely with a spoon.
- cover and allow the mixture to rest for 10-12 mins.
- after some time the salad will leave moisture.
- serve raw mango salad as a side dish with dal-rice, pulao or with your meals. you can garnish with some chopped coriander or mint leaves.
2. add spices and seasoning as per your preference.
3. if you don't have whole cumin seeds, then just add cumin powder instead.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - mango salad recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make green or raw mango salad recipe:
1. rinse 2 small raw mangoes and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel.
2. use a sharp knife to peel their skin and start chopping them. be careful while chopping the raw mangoes.
3. chop the raw mangoes into cubes. the chopped raw mangoes should be about one cup.
4. place the chopped mangoes into a mixing bowl or wide dish. add ¼ cup finely chopped onion.
5. this is an optional step and only if you do not have roasted cumin powder. to make the roasted cumin powder, roast ½ teaspoon cumin seeds on medium heat till they become aromatic.
6. switch off the gas. transfer the roasted cumin seed in the mortar. crush with the pestle and grind to a coarse powder.
7. keep all the ingredients ready for making raw mango salad. we need following spices for salad – ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder, 2 tsp sugar , ½ tsp roasted crushed cumin powder and salt as per taste. instead of sugar you can also add jaggery.
8. sprinkle the kashmiri red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, sugar and salt on the chopped mangoes.
9. mix nicely with a spoon.
10. cover and allow the mixture to rest for 10 to 12 minutes.
11. after some time the mango salad will leave moisture.