This Garlic Bread Loaf is soft, light with a good garlic flavor and taste. This is a step by step recipe to make garlic bread from scratch.
My first tryst with Garlic bread happened when we as a team had made these for the first time in our home science cooking lab. One bite of the garlic bread and I was hooked. After that I made garlic bread many times at home.
I would especially make these when I would make some soup, like tomato or minestrone soup. Its one bread which my parents liked then and even now.
The pics were shot in a hurry as this was one busy day with lots of cooking happening. get again ready for a dose of pics to make this awesome garlic bread.
Flours used in garlic bread
The bread is made with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour in the ratio of 2:1 respectively. You can also make the same bread with 1:1 ratio.
Its much better than the garlic bread we get in cafes or pizzerias. I even made garlic rolls later with the same garlic spread recipe that I used for this bread.
Garlic butter or spread
This garlic spread or garlic butter recipe is from my home science notes.
I have not used butter here for the garlic spread. I used nutralite – its a table vegetarian spread and not hydrogenated. However, its not vegan as milk powder is added to the spread. As far as vegan butters are concerned, we don’t get them in India. Atleast I have not seen them in any super store or food store.
For cooking and baking, I generally use sunflower, sesame, rice bran or olive oil. There is dalda and margarine available. Since both of them are hydrogenated fats, I don’t use them in cooking or baking.
Now if you are a vegetarian use butter and if a vegan than a vegan butter or spread, if you can get these in your country.
Note: this recipe is making the garlic bread from scratch and then filling the bread slices with garlic-butter spread. However, you can still make garlic bread without making the bread from scratch. Just get some good quality bread or rolls from out. Slice them and apply the garlic-butter. Bake in the oven. In 20-25 minutes your garlic bread is ready.
How to make garlic bread
1: I decided to roast the garlic bulb on fire for this garlic bread. You can roast it in the oven or just use plain garlic. Either mince the plain garlic or make a paste.
2: dunk the whole roasted garlic in water. Remove the peels when cooled and mash the garlic in a mortar-pestle.
3: warm 1 cup water. Stir 1 tbsp sugar and add dry active yeast. Stir & keep in a warm place for 10-15 mins.
4: the yeast mixture bubbled up.
Making garlic bread dough
5: in a mixing bowl or in a stand mixer fitted with bowl & paddle attachment mix all the dry ingredients first – both the flours and salt.
6: add the yeast mixture, oil and the mashed garlic.
7: knead the dough either with your hands or in the stand mixer if using one.
8: the dough should be soft and pliable. Apply some water or oil on the whole dough with your palms. Place in a bowl. Cover with a cling film or kitchen towel and keep in a warm place for the dough to leaven for 2:30 to 3 hours.
9: this is the leavened dough after almost 4 hours.
Baking garlic bread
10: Grease a 9 x 4 loaf pan with oil or line with parchment/butter paper. Punch the dough. Roll into a log shape. Seam the edges and place the dough with the seamed edges below, in the loaf pan.
11: Cover and let the dough rise for 45 mins or 1 hour or more if required.
12: Bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees C for 45-55 mins. I forgot to take a pic of the baked bread 🙁 once baked, let the bread cool down. Cool the bread on a wire rack.
Making garlic butter or spread
13: in a medium size bowl, take the butter and beat it.
14: since the quantity of the table spread was less, I chose to beat by spoon rather than using an electric beater. The butter should become light and fluffy. See the difference in both the above pic and this one below.
15: add the flavorings to the butter – garlic, celery, black pepper and salt. If using salted butter then no need to add salt. If you like cheese, you can also add some grated cheddar cheese or mozarella or parmesan to the spread. Any type of cheese you like. Vegans can add some nutritional yeast to give that cheesy flavor.
Making garlic bread
16: slice the bread into equal width slices keeping the base intact. Leave half inch space at the base of the bread. Don’t slice through completely. This is bread removed from the fridge and hence it looks dense & dry. I did not even thaw it.
17: spread the garlic spread on the slices of the bread on both sides.
18: finish of spreading the garlic butter on all the slices. Apply the remaining butter on top of the bread slices.
19: preheat the oven at 200 degrees C. Bake for a further 10-15 mins. If you want to brown the edges, you will have to bake for some more time.
Serve Garlic bread hot or warm with a good creamy or heavy soup. These slices can also be had plain or they can be served with a pasta dish or as a starter.
More Bread recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
Garlic Bread Loaf from scratch
for the garlic bread
- 1 small size garlic bulb
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon oil or unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup water - add 2 or 3 tablespoon water more, if required
- 1 teaspoon salt
for the garlic butter
- ½ cup butter (vegan or diary)
- 5 to 6 garlic - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 teaspoon finely chopped celery
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- Roast the garlic on stove top, grill or oven.
- Peel when cooled and mash the garlic cloves in a mortar-pestle. keep aside.
- Warm 1 cup water. stir 1 tbsp sugar in the water.
- Add the dry active yeast. stir and keep aside for 10-15 mins.
making garlic bread dough
- Mix both the whole wheat & all purpose flour, salt in a bowl or in a mixer stand fitted with a bowl & paddle attachment.
- Add the oil, mashed garlic and the yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough with your hands or in the stand mixer. Add some 1 or 2 tbsp water if the dough looks dry.
- Rub some water or oil on the whole surface of the dough. Keep in a bowl and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel.
- Let the bread dough leaven for 2:30 to 3 hours.
shaping and baking bread
- On a work surface, dust some flour if required. Punch the dough. roll into a log. seam the edges.
- Place the dough loaf in a greased loaf pan of 9 x 4 inches.
- Cover and keep aside for 45 mins to 1 hour. If you want you can brush the bread with some milk.
- Bake the bread in a preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes for 180 degrees c.
- Remove the bread on a wire rack and let it cool completely before applying the spread.
making garlic bread
- In a bowl take the butter or spread.
- Beat with a spoon or small wire whisk till the butter or spread has softened.
- Add the chopped garlic, celery, black pepper and salt. mix and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c. Slice the whole bread keeping the base intact.
- Apply the garlic butter on each slice of the bread on both sides. Apply also on top of the bread.
- You can sprinkle the top with sesame seeds if you want.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or till the butter melts.
- Serve the garlic bread hot or warm.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later