coconut chutney for fasting or vrat, with step by step photos – i make this simplest coconut chutney on fasting days to be served as a side dish with the vrat snacks and also at times when i want to make a quick coconut chutney.
this coconut chutney recipe is adapted from my mom’s recipe and she usually tempers the chutney. when making on fasting days, i don’t temper the chutney. but otherwise sometimes i do prepare the tempering.
i always freeze fresh grated coconut and this comes handy when making any coconut chutney or coconut based dish. this chutney is just made up of only 3 ingredients – coconut, green chilies and rock salt.
green chilies provide a lot of flavor and balances the slight sweet tones of the coconut in this chutney recipe. depending on the pungency of the chilies, i use one or two in the chutney. you can add as per your requirements.
this coconut chutney goes well with the fasting or vrat snacks that are made during navratri, ekadashi or janmashtami. it also goes very well with idli, dosa and medu vada. in the above pic, the coconut chutney is served with a no onion medu vada.
coconut chutney for fasting or vrat in the recipe card below:
coconut chutney recipe for fasting or vrat | fasting coconut chutney recipe
coconut chutney recipe - a no onion no garlic coconut chutney made simple and easy with just three ingredients.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ¾ to 1 cup grated coconut - fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - or as required
- rock salt or sendha namak or upwas ka namak as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or as required
how to make recipe
- grind all the three ingredients with little water till smooth.
- don't make the chutney too watery.
- serve coconut chutney with vrat or fasting snacks.
- this coconut chutney also goes well with the regular idli, dosa and medu vada.
how to make coconut chutney for fasting or vrat:
1. measure all the ingredients and keep aside for making coconut chutney.
2. in a blender jar take ¾ to 1 cup of grated coconut (fresh or frozen). also add 1 to 2 chopped green chilies and rock salt or sendha namak as required.
3. next add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water or add as required.
4. grind all the three ingredients till smooth. don’t make the chutney too watery.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe