this coconut barfi recipe is from my friend & blogger richa‘s ebook on “15 diwali vegan sweets recipes“. this is a vegan recipe to make yummy coconut barfi and one more recipe which is veganized successfully by richa.
richa was kind enough to share the coconut barfi recipe and the ebook with me. i must say that the ebook design is very colorful, vibrant and does justice with the theme of diwali festival. it is not easy to veganize traditional indian sweets and if i look at the recipes which richa has shared in this ebook then i must say “hats off to her”. because she has managed to veganize some recipes which are little tricky to make even with ghee or dairy products.
i know richa for a long time and she has the knack of developing new recipes and she is a very innovative blogger always active in spreading the cause of veganism. this ebook is another effort from her side in that direction. the ebook price is 5$ and all the money will go for donation – 501 c3 charities, to VSPCA (Visakha Society for the Protection and Care of Animals – India) – who are working for animals affected by the cyclone phailin and the other to Pigs Peace Sanctuary (USA).
there are 15 indian sweets recipes in the ebook which can be made during diwali or any time of the year. from mysore pak to nan khatai, from sandesh to rasmalai. the book also has a gluten free version of gulab jamun. the below pic mentions the recipes.
so you if you plan to make vegan indian sweets this diwali, then do purchase this book from richa’s blog. here’s wishing happy diwali to all. i hope this diwali brings prosperity, wealth, wisdom and peace in your life.
coconut barfi recipe below:
coconut barfi recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for coconut barfi:
- ½ cup semolina flour (sooji or rava) - [or brown rice flour for gluten free option]
- ½ cup dry coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional - omit to make oil-free)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashew pieces (optional - omit to make nut-free)
- a pinch of salt
for sugar syrup:
- ½ cup ground raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
how to make coconut barfi recipe
- in a large pan, dry roast the semolina/sooji on medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes until the color changes and it gets fragrant.
- using a blender/processor, blend the coconut flakes to make coarse coconut flour.
- add coconut flour, coconut oil, salt and cashew pieces to the pan.
- mix well and roast for 2 minutes.
- meanwhile, in another pan, make the sugar syrup.
- add all syrup ingredients and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- continue to heat at medium low until one thread consistency.
- add the hot sugar syrup to the roasting dry ingredients and mix well to form a lumpy mixture. (best result when both contents are hot)
- take off heat.
- press immediately into parchment lined or greased baking pan (I used an 8 by 4 inch pan.)
- cut into squares when still warm. the bars will harden as they cool.
- break into pieces when cool. store coconut barfi in airtight container for upto a week.