Onion raita recipe with step by step photos – pyaaz ka raita is another simple, quick and cooling raita recipe for summers. Raitas are often made as side dish in Indian hot summers to beat the heat.
This raita is doubly cooling as both yogurt and onions are good for summers. Onions are specially eaten to beat the ‘Loo‘ (hot wind) of north India.
This onion raita recipe is made with just a few ingredients. On days when I do not have cucumber or tomatoes, I make this onion raita to go with our meals. Pulao and Biryani are usually served with an accompanying raita.
This recipe is a variation of the Onion-tomato raita. I always add raw onions to the raita. The onions we get here are not pungent or strongly flavored. If you cannot tolerate the pungency of the onions, then just saute the onions in a bit of oil till they soften and then add them to the raita. You can also use the sweeter variety of onions.
I usually make raitas non spicy. This onion raita is spiced with ground cumin and black pepper. If you want a spicy raita with a touch of heat, then add chopped green chilies or red chili powder. Instead of coriander leaves, you can also use mint leaves.
If you are looking for more Raita recipes then do check:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup full fat fresh chilled curd (yogurt)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions - about 1 medium to large onion
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- black salt as required (you can also add rock salt or regular salt) - i added 1/3 teaspoon black salt
- 5 to 6 chopped mint leaves or 1 tablespoon of coriander leaves
- few mint leaves or coriander leaves for garnishing
- Whisk the curd/yogurt till smooth.
- Then add the finely chopped onion and mix again.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder and salt as required. Stir and mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves (or 5-6 mint leaves).
- Mix well.
- While serving garnish with few mint or coriander leaves.
- Serve the onion raita with your indian meals.
2. You could use mint leaves or coriander leaves for this raita.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make onion raita
1. Whisk the curd/dahi/yogurt till smooth.
2. Then add the finely chopped onion and mix again.
3. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and black salt as required. Stir and mix well.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves (Or 5 to 6 chopped mint leaves).
5. Mix well.
While serving garnish with few mint or coriander leaves. serve the onion raita with your Indian meals.