potato chips are an all time favorite in the household whether they are sundried or not.
i have been addicted to the sun dried ones from my school days. there were days when i did not want to take the chapati-sabzi for tiffin or the idli-dosa just coz i wanted to have these chips from the school canteen.
they used to be laden with so much of chili powder that even at that age i would love them. and when sometimes they would get over in the canteen, i would feel not so nice…
typical emotions of a tender age….. so i would make it a point to rush to the canteen as soon as the bell rings so that i can have them…. lol…
these potato chips are not made by me. they are made by my mom in law. i recently met up with my in laws at sadhguru jaggi vasudev’s ashram.
there, she got a lot of things for us, some being food stuff like potato papad, punjabi wadis and these sun dried potato chips, which were not many.
i also took the details on how to make the potato chips at home. when we arrived back home, it was pouring so heavily here plus it always dark.
there is virtually no sign of sun. so i gave up the plans of making the chips at home.
so here i am sharing mom in law’s recipe again of making the sun dried potato chips at home. you can read the details below on how to make them. once they are dried completely then store them in an air-tight container.
the only good part of these dried potato chips are you can make them as many you want. then whenever you want you can fry them & they are ready to be served in no time.
after you fry them, sprinkle some salt and red chili powder… yummy chips are ready to be devoured… both salt and red chili powder does wonders to the chips….
these potato chips can be had plain or as an accompaniment with dal-rice or even sambar-rice. you can also serve them as starters.
to make these chips all you need are good quality large or medium sized potatoes, water, salt and a good sun light. once they are dried you have a nice jar of potato chips ready to be made any time.
this is really not a recipe but more a method of making the chips at home. the quantity of water and salt can be easily adjusted while preparing the chips.
details on making sun dried potato chips below:
- potatoes as much as you want
- mandoline or slicer
- a plastic sheet or a clean cotton napkin
- a large tray
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- salt or black salt
- red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- wash the potatoes well in water.
- peel the potatoes.
- in a huge bowl mix some salt with water and keep aside.
- now start slicing the potatoes with a slicer and as you slice them let the slices fall in the salted water.
- you can even slice them with a knife.
- the slices should be neither too thick nor thin.
- we are adding the slices in the salt water so that they potatoes don't darken.
- finish off like this with all the potatoes.
- now in another large pan take water and add salt to it.
- the quantity of water should be so such that all the potato slices should get immersed in it.
- bring this salt water mixture to a rolling boil and switch of the gas.
- now add the potato slices to the hot salted water.
- keep the potato slices for 1 or 2 minutes in the hot water.
- remove the slices with a slotted spoon and arrange them on a tray lined with a plastic sheet.
- keep them in the sun for 1 or 2 days till they are dried completely.
- change the sides of the slices when one side is dried.
- store in an air tight jar in a cool & dry place.
- shallow or deep fry the potato slices.
- drain on kitchen tissues.
- sprinkle some salt and red chili powder before serving.
- serve them potato chips hot as if you keep them out for a longer time, they become soft.
you can also spice the chips with your favorite choice of spices or herbs