both yogurt and mint (pudina) are body coolants and so their combination would double the cooling properties in this traditional drink. mint has many healthy benefits and is also good for detoxification. so you can use mint in variety of recipes like mint rice, mint chutney and pudina paratha recipe.
not only salty chaas is had during summers but also as a part of meals and sometimes before or after meals. there are again many ways of making chaas. the north indians have their own method and the south indians their own.
the chaas is also a street food and in many indian cities you will find vendors selling this spiced buttermilk, especially in the hot summers.
the buttermilk is made by churning yogurt and water with some spices or herbs. the butter sometimes comes on the surface while churning. you can remove it aside and just serve the buttermilk. if you prefer you can also serve the butter with the chaas. you can either blend or churn the mixture with the traditional indian churner.
in this recipe i have spiced the pudina chaas with some roasted cumin powder and black salt….a cooling and refreshing drink to have during summers. vegans can make the same pudina chaas with cashew yogurt.
mint chaas or pudina chaas recipe below:
- 1 cup curd (yogurt or dahi)
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves (pudina patta) or 1 teaspoon dry mint leaves
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- rock salt or black salt as required
- chop the pudina (mint) leaves.
- in a blender add all the ingredients including the pudina leaves and blend till smooth.
- serve pudina chaas in glasses with some ice cubes.
- you can also chill the chaas and then serve later.
1. the pudina chaas recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
2. you can also add dry mint leaves instead of fresh mint leaves.
3. if making the pudina chaas for religious fasting like navratri or ekadashi, then add rock salt/sendha namak.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media