shikanji or shikanjvi as we call it at home is a famous & traditional lemonade of north india and pakistan. it is a summer cooler.
we would make shikanji often in the summers and keep on gulping it. we used to make it in bulk and keep in the fridge.
it is so refreshing, plus you get loads of vitamin c in one drink. it is so hot now. i wonder what will happen in may. i guess my whole fridge will be stocked with shikanji 😉
whilst living in delhi, i would see so many shikanji stalls in the summers. in mumbai too there would be stalls selling nimbu pani. what is the difference between shikanji and nimbu pani? according to me they are same… just different names for the same drink.
the recipe here is the way we make it at home. shikanji is always made with fresh lemon juice and spiced with some black salt and some roasted cumin powder. sugar is also added. so you have a sweet and salty lemony drink with hints of cumin.
black salt is the best salt to be used in shikanji as it gives a punch and the peculiar black salt taste which no other salt can give.
shikanji or indian lemonade recipe below:
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 medium size lemon
- 2 glasses water
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- rock salt or black salt as required
- sugar as required
- 4 to 5 leaves mint for garnishing, optional
- a few ice cubes
how to make shikanji recipe
- cut the lemon in to two.
- take 2 glasses of a water in a bowl
- with a lemon juice squeezer, squeeze the juice directly into the water.
- add black salt, sugar, jeera powder.
- stir till the sugar dissolves.
- pour the shikanji in glasses. add ice cubes. garnish with mint and serve shikanji immediately.
- you can also make the shikanji and chill in the fridge and then serve.
- if you are making shikanji for fasting, then add rock salt/sendha namak.
- i have mentioned shikanji (indian lemonade) recipe details for making two glasses, but you can double and triple the drink.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - shikanji recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.