papaya halwa recipe with step by step photos – yes a halwa made from papaya. i had three raw papayas which i has kept over the counter for ripening. one of them looked ripened but when sliced, it was half ripe.
a few days back, i had asked my mom what can be made with ripe papaya and she had suggested papaya halwa. so instead of making any sabzi or stir fried dish with the semi ripe papaya, i made the halwa….. and i was in for a surprise. the halwa was damn good. i cannot tell you how good the halwa was.
you have to try making the halwa to trust what i am saying. generally, we eat chopped papaya or have them in fruit chaats or in a fruit salad or papaya lassi. i never knew that papaya would be so good in a halwa.
the consistency of this papaya halwa is like any other halwa made with fruits. i made this halwa from semi ripe papayas but you can use ripe papayas also to make it. you can have it plain or with pooris too. other halwa recipes made from fruits on my blog are banana sheera and apple halwa.
i had no time to grate the papaya, so quickly chopped them. grated papaya will take less time to cook and you don’t need to mash them while cooking. while i had to mash them to get a smooth consistency.
my mom makes this papaya halwa with milk powder. i have substituted milk powder with almond powder. i ground 15 almonds in a dry grinder which yielded approx 2 tbsp of the almond powder. you can also add coconut powder instead of almond powder.a vegetarian substitute is to use grated khoya (evaporated milk).
the amount of sugar to be added depends upon the sweetness of the papaya. so you can reduce or increase the sugar when preparing the halwa. if you make the halwa with a very ripe and sweet papaya, then you don’t even need to add sugar. this halwa recipe is also great as dessert for fasting/vrat and festival occasions.
papaya halwa recipe below:
- 1 medium semi ripe papaya, approx 4.5 cups of chopped papaya or 3.5 to 4 cups of grated papaya
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- 4-5 tbsp sugar - or as required as per the sweetness of the papaya
- 2-3 cardamom, powdered or ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp almond powder or milk powder or coconut powder or evaporated milk/khoya ( i used 15 almonds and ground them to get approx 2 tbsp of almond powder)
- 12-15 halved cashews or as required
- rinse the papaya and slice them.
- remove the seeds and the pith from the top. peel the slices.
- then chop the papaya slices, finely.
- heat oil or ghee in a kadai or pan. add the papaya.
- stir and cook on a low flame for about 14-15 minutes.
- keep on stirring on occasions while cooking the papaya.
- the fruit will release it juices, change color and loose its opacity.
- add sugar and then stir. continue to cook for further 18-20 minutes on a low flame.
- by now the oil will begin to separate.
- add ground almonds and stir.
- cook for 5-6 minutes more till the whole halwa has gotten together and become one whole.
- add cashews and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- serve papaya halwa hot or warm. you can also refrigerated and serve the halwa as a cold dessert.
double the quantity for 3-4 servings.
2. this recipe is not a recipe, but just the method of making halwa. the quantity of ingredients can always be increased or decreased. so the recipe post is just a
3. if possible use semi ripe papaya. you can also make with ripe papaya. no need to add sugar if making with a really ripe papaya.
4. i have made the papaya halwa with oil, but you can make with ghee if you prefer.
lets start step by step papaya halwa recipe:
1. heat oil or ghee in a kadai or pan. add the chopped or grated papaya. its better to use grated papaya. otherwise if you want to use chopped papaya as i have done then you have to mash the papaya while making it. stir and cook on a low flame for about 14-15 minutes. keep on stirring on occasions while cooking the papaya.
2. the fruit will release it juices, change color and loose its opacity. add sugar and then stir. continue to cook for further 18-20 minutes on a low flame.
3. mash the papaya with a potato masher directly when the halwa is cooking.
4. after cooking for 18-20 minutes, the texture and consistency of the halwa will considerably change. it will begun to thicken slowly on a low flame. add ground almonds, cardamom powder and stir.
5. cook for 5-6 minutes more till the whole halwa comes together as one whole. you will also see that the oil has separated from the halwa.
6. add cashews and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media