moong sprouts salad is a very easy as well as a very healthy salad recipe. this salad made from moong sprouts is specially good for people who does not have much time for cooking or who does not know much about cooking specially college goers who are studying in hostel or staying away from family for job or studies. excellent recipe for the summers.
although you can get ready made sprouted moong beans from market but it is always better and healthy to sprout moong beans at home. i have already written a detailed post on how to sprout moong beans at home. you can also check my post on making mixed bean sprouts at home.
once the moong beans have been sprouted then we have a quick salad recipe in hand and we can easily flavor it as per your taste. you can be really innovative in making this salad spicy, crunchy, tangy or sweet. much is possible with sprouted moong beans. they are often added in some indian recipes like pani puri, bhel puri. usal recipe or dahi papdi chaat.
in this salad recipe, we need to steam or boil the sprouts till they are completely cooked. the water which we use to boil sprouts is generally discarded. but that water is very healthy and can be used for cooking or can be given to your plants or herbs which you are growing in your kitchen garden. if you want the moong sprouts to be crunchy then you can even keep it half cooked.
there are many possible variations of moong sprouts salad:
1. i usually add finely chopped onion, tomato, green chilli and sprinkle black salt and few drops of lemon on it. this is how i often make this salad for breakfast. oh yes, this is the only salad which we have for breakfast.
2. you can also add boiled potatoes in addition to onions and tomatoes. you can also substitute boiled potatoes with boiled sweet potatoes.
3. if you want a sweet salad then add fruits and dry fruits of your choice. citrus fruits like orange and sweet lime will go very well with moong sprouts. other fruits you can add are pomegranate or mangoes.
4. you can also boost the nutritive value of this salad by adding roasted peanuts or seeds like sunflower, sesame and pumpkin.
moong sprouts salad recipe below:
- 2 cups of sprouted moong beans
- 1 small or medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli (optional), finely chopped
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ or 1 tsp chaat masala (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or as required
- 1 boiled potato or boiled sweet potato (optional)
- few coriander leaves and lemon slices for garnishing
- rock salt or black salt as required
- first you have to sprout the moong beans
- once the moong sprouts are ready, rinse them in water.
- then either steam it or boil them till the sprouts are completely cooked.
- you can even keep it half cooked if you want a crunchy taste.
- then strain the cooked sprouts.
- mix all the ingredients listed above with sprouted beans in a bowl except salt and lemon juice
- lastly, season with salt and add few drops of lemon juice. garnish with lemon slices or coriander leaves
- serve moong sprouts salad immediately.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media