Dahi papdi chaat recipe with step by step photos – one of the very popular chaat recipe from north india.
What I like special in these dahi and papdi based chaat snacks is that in one bite you get to taste so many different flavors and taste. E.g. In this dahi papdi chaat, you will get to taste the sweetness of the curd, crispiness of papdi, soft melt in the mouth boiled potatoes and not to forget the indian spices which adds their own zing, tang and spiciness in the dish.
If you want to have best street food then either visit mumbai or delhi or indore. These cities have their own special chaats. If delhi has chole bhature and matar kulcha then mumbai has Ragda pattice and Pav bhaji. indore has its own special chaat dishes like Indori poha.
This dahi papdi chaat recipe is very easy to make but needs few basic ingredients like Pudina chutney and Papdi (fried or baked flour crackers). you can either buy the papdi from outside or can also make them at home. Other than that you just need to boil the potatoes and sprout the moong beans. Although nowadays, papdi and sprouted moong beans are also available in super stores. But I always prefer to make them at home.
In this recipe I have not added Sweet chutney. so I have sweetened the curd with some sugar. The sweetened yogurt works very well when you don’t have the sweet tamarind chutney.
How to make dahi papdi chaat
1. Boil the potatoes. Peel and you can crumble them or chop them finely. Arrange the papdis in a shallow bowl or plate. Add the crumbled potatoes on top of each papdi. On top of these add cooked sprouted moong beans.
2. Add the green chutney as required. It could be mint chutney or mint coriander chutney or coriander chutney.
3. Add sweetened dahi (curd or yogurt).
4. Sprinkle a pinch or two of roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and chaat masala as per your taste.
5. Add finely chopped onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle a pinch of chaat masala and red chili powder again.
6. Lastly sprinkle sev (fried gram flour vermicelli), chopped coriander leaves and black salt or regular salt. Serve the dahi papdi chaat immediately as soon as you are done preparing them. Always have this chaat immediately. If you serve later the papdis become soggy.
If you are looking for more Street food recipes then do check:
Dahi Papdi Chaat
- 24 to 30 Papdis - crisp fried or baked flour crackers
- 2 to 3 Medium sized potatoes
- ½ cup Boiled sprouted moong beans Or ¾ cup boiled chickpeas
- 1 Small sized onion, Finely chopped
- 1 Small sized tomato, Finely chopped
- ¾ to 1 cup Fresh curd (yogurt)
- Red chili powder - as required
- Chaat masala -as required
- Roasted cumin powder - as required
- Sugar As required
- Sev (fried gram flour vermicelli) - as required
- A few chopped coriander leaves
- Salt or black salt as required
For the chutney
- 1 cup Chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ½ inch Ginger, Chopped
- 1 Green chili, Chopped
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- Black salt or rock salt or sea salt as required
preparation for dahi papdi chaat
- First boil or steam the potatoes till they are completely cooked.
- Peel them and then you can chop them or just crumble them lightly.
- Steam or cook the sprouted moong beans with some salt. Drain and keep aside.
- Stir sugar in yogurt and mix well.
- Finely chop the onion, tomato and coriander leaves.
- Keep all the spice powders and salt ready.
preparing the green coriander chutney
- With little water blend or grind all the chutney ingredients in a blender or chutney grinder or magic bullet till smooth.
- Check the seasoning and add more salt or lemon juice if required.
- Keep the the coriander chutney aside.
making dahi papdi chaat
- Arrange the papdis on individual serving plates. Usually one serving or one plate consists of 6 papdis.
- Place the chopped potatoes on each papdi.
- Then top up with some of the moong sprouts.
- Now top up with the green chutney as required.
- Add the sweetened yogurt as required.
- Sprinkle a pinch or two of the chaat masala, red chili powder, roasted cumin powder.
- Top up with some chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Lastly again sprinkle with a pinch of chaat masala, red chili powder and salt.
- Sprinkle sev and chopped coriander leaves. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice if you prefer.
- Remember chaat masala already has salt. So use salt accordingly.
- Serve dahi papdi chaat immediately.