Corn salad recipe with step by step photos. This is an easy, tasty and healthy recipe of salad made with sweet corn, cucumber, onion and spices + herbs. Gluten-free and vegan. You can have it as a light meal or a healthy brunch or snack.
Summers are the time for salads and light meals. I will be sharing some more Salad recipes along with quick meals that can be made in summer. It is so hot in these months and in the kitchen it even becomes more hot. I try to keep my cooking easy and not complicated during the summer months.
Most salads can be had as a brunch or as a light meal. For some carbs, you can accompany a few slices of toast.
I make this salad with different combinations of spices and adding various veggies. Carrots, beetroots go very well. Even tomatoes can be added. I have added cucumber and onions as they provide a good crunch in the salad and taste good too.
Particularly onions combine very well with corn when you flavor it with a few spices and lemon juice.
Please do add your own choice of veggies, spices and herbs when you make this salad. A lot of permutations and combinations are possible in this recipe. I have kept the spicing minimal and this is a simple, basic salad recipe.
I have used fresh sweet corn. Though even tinned/canned corn be used. But I do suggest using fresh corn as the taste of salad is better with fresh corn.
How to make Corn Salad
1. First steam or boil fresh 2 medium corn cobs till the kernels are tender. You can steam them in a pressure cooker, steamer or electric cooker or Instant Pot.
I cooked them in a stovetop pressure cooker in 1.5 cups of water for 5 whistles. You can also cook them in a pan or pot adding water as needed.
Add the corn cobs and water in a pan. Cover and cook till the corn kernels become tender. Add more water if required while cooking.
2. Let the corn cobs become warm or cool down. Then carefully scrape off the corn kernels with a knife.
3. Add the corn kernels to a mixing bowl.
4. Then add the following ingredients:
¼ cup finely chopped onion
⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped cucumber
1 tablespoon chopped coriander or ½ tablespoon chopped parsley.
Feel free to add your preferred steamed or raw veggies at this step. You can add steamed or boiled potatoes, broccoli, green peas, sweet potatoes or blanched green beans. You can also add raw grated carrots or beets and finely chopped bell peppers.
5. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder or cayenne pepper and ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder or cumin powder (ground cumin).
Also add herbs like cilantro or parsley. Here I have added 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro).
You can opt to add either dried herbs or fresh herbs. Some fresh herbs that taste good in this salad are oregano, chives, basil, rosemary.
6. Now add ½ to 1 teaspoon of lemon juice for some tang. Add lemon juice as per your taste preferences.
Sometimes I also add 1 to 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. If you want you can add extra virgin olive oil too.
7. Mix and toss everything very well.
8. Serve corn salad immediately. Or you can chill in the refrigerator and serve it later. You can easily scale this recipe to make a small or big batch.
For more corn recipes, you can check this collection of 21 Corn recipes.
If you are looking for more Veg salad recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
- 400 grams corn cobs or 2 medium sized corn cobs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small to medium cucumber, finely chopped or ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder or cumin powder (ground cumin)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) or ½ tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice, add as per taste
- salt as required
- First steam or boil fresh 2 medium corn cobs till the kernels are tender. You can steam them in a pressure cooker, steamer or Instant pot or electric cooker.
- I cooked them in a pressure cooker in 1.5 cups water for 5 whistles. You can also cook them in a pan. Add the corn cobs and water in a pan. Cover and cook till the corn kernels become tender. Add more water if required while cooking.
- Let the corn cobs become warm or cool down. Then carefully scrape off the corn kernels with a knife.
making corn salad
- Add the corn kernels in a mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, finely chopped cucumber and chopped coriander or chopped parsley.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp red chilli powder or cayenne pepper and 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder.
- Now add lemon juice. Add lemon juice as per your taste preferences. Sometimes I also add 1 to 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil. If you want you can add extra virgin olive oil too.
- Mix and toss everything very well.
- Serve sweet corn salad immediately. Or you can chill in the fridge and serve later.
- This recipe can be easily scaled as per your requirements.
- You can also use tinned/canned corn.
- You can also opt to add steamed or boiled veggies like green peas, potatoes, broccoli, sweet potatoes or blanched green beans.
- You can also opt to add some finely grated bell peppers or raw grated carrots or beets.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Corn Salad Post from the blog archives, first published in May 2016 has been republished and updated on December 2022.