kaddu ka halwa or pumpkin halwa recipe for fasting or vrat. we often make this pumpkin halwa during the navratri fasting period.
pumpkin or kaddu as we call in hindi, is a veggie that we often use during the navratri fasting period. another recipe from pumpkin which was mil make for navratri fasting is kaddu ki sabzi.
this is a very very easy recipe of pumpkin halwa and the credit goes to my mil. the whole halwa is made in the pressure cooker, saving time and energy. you can also make the halwa in a pan, though. i have mentioned how to make the halwa in the pan in the notes section below.
there’s not much of ghee or oil used in this recipe unlike the amounts usually added to halwa recipes. we always add melon seeds (magaz) in this halwa and this combination goes very well. apart from melon seeds, other dry fruits like almonds and cashews are also added.
pumpkin halwa recipe details below:
- 2.5 to 3 cups chopped pumpkin or kaddu or petha
- ½ cup sugar or as required (also depends upon the sweetness in the pumpkin)
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms crushed to a powder in a mortar-pestle
- 2 tbsp oil or 1.5 tbsp ghee (the halwa taste good with ghee)
- 2 tsp melon seeds or magaz
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp chopped mixed dry fruits (almonds, cashews, pistachios)
- ¾th to 1 cup water
- peel and chop kaddu or pumpkin into small cubes. smaller the better.
- heat the oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- add the kaddu pieces in the pressure cooker
- and saute till they are start releasing water or for approx 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- add water and stir.
- cover and pressure cook the kaddu pieces for 4-5 whistles.
- *for making the halwa in a pan, check notes below.
- open the lid when the pressure settles down
- and check if the kaddu pieces have softened or not.
- they should be of mashable consistency.
- if they have not cooked thoroughly, then pressure cook for few more minutes, adding some more water, if required.
- once the kaddu pieces have cooked well then place the pressure cooker on fire and keep to simmer.
- after 1-2 minutes, add sugar and cardamom powder.
- cook the mixture stirring often till it thickens.
- the consistency of the halwa should like be a pudding or pumpkin puree.
- the water should reduce in the halwa.
- you can thicken it more if you want.
- add the melon seeds and dry fruits and cook the halwa for 1-2 minutes more.
- serve kaddu ka halwa or pumpkin halwa warm or cold.
- you can also garnish the pumpkin halwa with melon seeds.
Follow us on Social Media