eggless christmas fruit cake recipe with step by step photos – this spiced fruit cake was a must buy during christmas. not only we would gift the cakes to family & friends, but also receive the same from them.
my mother would buy dozens of fruit cakes & date-walnut cakes just to gift them. she was not a baker nor even fond of baking, but loved all the baked goodies.
i have had so many versions of the christmas fruit cakes by now and most of the ones that were gifted to us were rum or wine based ones. i have never really made a boozy cake. i wanted to try making such a cake at home. since its the festive season, i don’t mind making such a cake once in a while.
you can also check these eggless cakes recipes:
1. kerala style christmas plum cake
2. eggless christmas wine fruit cake recipe
3. how to make sponge cake in a pressure cooker
4. how to make chocolate cake in pressure cooker
so here i was soaking the dry fruits, candied peels, tutti fruity in rum. now if you don’t want to soak in rum, then as an option you can soak in orange juice or apple juice.
i just soaked the dry fruits for 24 hours. but if you want you can soak for many days or even 6 months or even 1 year before.
this christmas fruit cake recipe is eggless and dairy free. i have used my eggless fresh plum cake recipe to make this one with some adaptations.
as always in the cakes i make i often use a mix of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. so it is with this cake.
the cake has a wonderful fragrant aroma and is light, crumbly, moist and too delicious with notes of rum in it.
for baking the cake, the times may vary from oven to oven. it took me approx 1 hour 45 minutes to bake the cake at 170 degrees celsius, initially. later i increased the oven temperature to 180 degrees celsius.
this is the first time i used a regular oven and i have no clue if it takes so long. in my microwave oven where i do most of baking in convection mode, it does not take so long.
by now when i am almost finishing this post, the christmas fruit cake has got over and i plan to make another christmas cake or festive bread tomorrow.
anyways now for the step by step recipe. but before that wishing all of you a merry christmas and a happy new year.
eggless christmas fruit cake recipe below:
light, moist, crumbly christmas fruit cake. eggless and vegan recipe of christmas fruit cake
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- ¼ cup chopped citrus peels
- 8 dry apricots
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup tutti frutti
- 10 glazed cherries sliced
- 1 cup rum or 1 cup fresh orange juice or apple juice
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (maida) or 187 grams
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour (atta), 90 grams
- 1.5 cups demerara sugar or brown sugar or powdered sugar or 300 gms demerara or brown sugar or 335 grams powdered sugar
- 1 cup oil or melted butter or 250 ml
- 1 cup soy milk or any nut milk or dairy milk or 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or regular vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 inches cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder, about 2 to 3 pinches of nutmeg powder
firstly chop all the dry fruits and take them in a bowl or a jar. pour rum in the bowl or jar.
cover and let the dry fruits soak for 12 or 24 hours.
in between stir or shake so that all the dry fruits get soaked properly.
in a dry grinder, grind the whole spices. keep aside.
prepare a loaf pan or a round cake pan. i used a 6.5 inches round pan.
grease the cake pan lightly with oil. you can also line the pan with butter paper.
preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
sieve the flours, baking powder and the powdered spice mix.
add oil and demerara sugar and mix well.
keep some sliced cherries for adding on top of the cake.
mix some flour with the cherries and keep aside.
add the soaked dry fruits and rum. stir and mix uniformly.
in a bowl or mug add soy milk. now add apple cider and stir gently.
add baking soda and stir. add this frothing mixture to the cake batter.
add vanilla extract. stir and mix quickly but uniformly. pour in the cake pan.
shake the pan lightly so that the cake is spread evenly throughout the whole pan.
place the sliced cherries on the top.
bake in the preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 1:45 minutes or more or less depending on your oven.
either wrap the christmas fruit cake in a cling film or store in a container.
few tips for christmas fruit cake recipe:
1. if the top of the cake browns quickly, then cover the top with butter paper or aluminium foil.
2. instead of soy milk you can use dairy milk or nut milk.
3. instead of oil you can use butter.
4. do add the candied peels as they really add some bitter notes to the cake which is otherwise sweet and this is what makes the christmas fruit cake different from a regular fruit cake.
5. the dry fruits mixture can be soaked in orange juice instead of rum. you can also use a half half mixture of rum and wine if you want.
6. if using orange juice than just soak for 1 day only and keep the the bowl in the fridge. if kept outside even for 1 day in a warm climate like that of india, the orange juice will get spoilt.
7. the fruit cake can also be completely made with whole wheat flour or all purpose flour.
step by step eggless christmas fruit cake recipe:
1: take all the dry fruits in a bowl.
2: add the glazed cherries, orange peels, tutti fruity.
3: pour rum…
4: let the dry fruits soak in the rum for a good 24 hours.
5: after being soaked for a day.
6: here’s the mistake i did…. better chop the dry fruits before adding. i did know about this, but was feeling too lazy… anyways i had to chop them later.
7: reserve some cherries to top the cake. slice them & mix them with some flour.
8: now to add some spice… take these whole spices in a dry grinder – cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom and nutmeg. i also later added all spice. not in the pic below.
9: grind to a powder.
10: take the flours, baking powder & the spice powder in a sieve.
11: sieve all of them in a bowl or pan.
12: add demerara sugar and oil.
13: mix well.
14: add the dry fruits etc all along with the leftover rum.
15: mix really well.
16: in a bowl take soy milk or regular milk or any nut milk and add apple cider vinegar to it. the milk would begin to curdle, but no issues.
17: now add baking soda.
18: stir gently and you will see the whole mixture rising up.
19: pour this mixture into the flour-oil mixture. add vanilla extract.
20: mix well and be quick. pour the fruit cake batter in a greased pan.
21: place the cherries that we had kept aside on the cake.
22: now bake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees for 1 hour 45 minutes or more or less as required depending on your oven. since temperatures in the oven differ according to the size, make and litres, do keep a check.
23: after getting baked a beautiful golden browned christmas fruit cake.
24: either wrap the fruit cake in a cling film or store in a container. you can also have a slice if you want to 🙂