Gingerbread cake is a moist soft spiced cake with the aroma & taste of ginger that you can make for Christmas. Eggless, Vegan and a Healthy Cake.
From a long time I wanted to make an Eggless version of gingebread cake. I just developed my own recipe and the cake was a hit at home. For an eggless version, this cake is damn good. You won’t even know that eggs have not been used.
This is a healthy gingerbread cake as the whole recipe has been made in whole wheat flour/atta making it rich in fibre and nutrients. Apart from whole wheat flour, I have used jaggery syrup instead of molasses.
Traditionally molasses are used in gingerbread. Since in India molasses are not easily available, jaggery is a good & healthy substitute.
I have also used candied dried ginger. If you don’t have candied dried ginger, then no need to add it. You can even add some golden raisins in the cake. All in all one healthy gingerbread cake where you won’t feel guilty having it or serving to your family.
If you are looking for more Eggless cakes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 1.5 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste or grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon candied ginger or golden raisins - optional
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup yogurt (curd - dairy or vegan) + ¼ cup water
- ½ cup oil
for the jaggery syrup
- ¾ cup powdered or grated organic jaggery
- ½ cup water
making gingerbread cake batter
- Mix the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg powder well in a bowl. You can also sieve the above ingredients.
- Add the ginger paste and candied ginger and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup yogurt with 1/4 cup water till smooth. Then add the oil to it and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the 1/2 cup water till its just hot (no need to boil) in a microwave or on stove top.
- Add jaggery to the hot water and stir well.
- Pour the yogurt+oil mixture to the flour.
- Then add the jaggery solution.
- Fold the ingredients well and make a smooth batter.
baking gingerbread cake
- Pour into a greased baking round pan or loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees c for 35-40 mins. It took me 41 minutes to bake the cake.
- If the top gets browned quickly while baking, cover with butter paper or aluminium foil and then continue to baking.
- Once warm, remove the cake from the pan and keep it on the tray to cool.
- Dust some icing sugar on the cake if you prefer.
- Slice the eggless gingerbread and serve plain or with some whipped cream.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later