eggless gingerbread cake recipe – a moist soft spiced cake with the aroma & taste of ginger that you can make for christmas.
from a long time i wanted to make an eggless version of gingebread cake. i just developed my own recipe and the cake was a hit at home. for an eggless version, this cake is damn good. you won’t even know that eggs have not been used. you can also check this eggless christmas fruit cake and eggless gingerbread cookies recipe.
this is a healthy gingerbread cake as the whole recipe has been made in whole wheat flour/atta making it rich in fibre and nutrients. apart from whole wheat flour, i have used jaggery syrup instead of molasses. traditionally molasses are used in gingerbread. since in india molasses are not easily available, jaggery is a good & healthy substitute.
i have also used candied dried ginger. if you don’t have candied dried ginger, then no need to add it. you can even add some golden raisins in the cake. all in all one healthy gingerbread cake where you won’t feel guilty having it or serving to your family.
eggless gingerbread cake recipe below:
gingerbread cake recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR gingerbread cake recipe
- 1.5 cups organic whole wheat flour (atta)
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste or grated ginger (adrak)
- 2 tablespoon candied ginger or golden raisins (kishmish) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup yogurt (curd or dahi - dairy or vegan) + ¼ cup water
- ½ cup oil
for the jaggery syrup:
- ¾ cup powdered or grated organic jaggery
- ½ cup water
HOW TO MAKE gingerbread cake recipe
- mix the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg powder well in a bowl. you can also sieve the above ingredients.
- add the ginger paste and candied ginger and mix again.
- in a separate bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup yogurt with 1/4 cup water till smooth. then add the oil to it and mix well. keep aside.
- heat the 1/2 cup water till its just hot (no need to boil) in a microwave or on stove top.
- add jaggery to the hot water and stir well.
- pour the yogurt+oil mixture to the flour.
- then add the jaggery solution.
- fold the ingredients well and make a smooth batter.
- pour into a greased baking round pan or loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 35-40 mins. it took me 41 minutes to bake the cake.
- if the top gets browned quickly while baking, cover with butter paper or aluminium foil and then continue to baking.
- once warm, remove the gingerbread cake from the pan and keep it on the tray to cool.
- dust some icing sugar on the cake if you prefer.
- slice the eggless gingerbread and serve plain or with some whipped cream.