Wine cake with detailed step by step photos. this is an easy and delicious recipe to make a moist and soft eggless wine cake.
To make this egg-free wine cake, i have used red wine (cabernet sauvignon) to soak the dry fruits. I soaked the fruits in the red wine for about 14 days. You can soak the dry fruits for a day or a couple of days.
After baking the cake, wrap the cake once its cooled. If had straightway the wine flavor is a bit strong. If you keep the cake for 2 to 3 days, the flavors become subtle & mellowed.
The red wine cake is moist, soft and taste too good for an eggless version. I made two cake bars and gifted one to my mom. I have loosely adapted this cake recipe from the Fruit cake Made with rum, that I posted earlier.
This cake can be easily veganized. I have mentioned the substitutions in the recipe details below.
Preparation to make wine cake
1: first chop the dates, almonds, cashews, walnuts, glazed cherries, candied orange peels, candied ginger.
2: in a bowl or jar soak the chopped dry fruits in red wine. Cover & keep this bowl or jar in a cool dry place. For 3 days I kept the bowl out and then for the remaining days I kept in the fridge. Every alternate day shake the jar or stir the bowl.
3: the soaked dry fruits on the 14th day.
Making wine cake
4: sieve the all purpose flour/maida with salt, baking soda and baking powder. add cinnamon powder, grated nutmeg and instant coffee. Mix well.
5: now add the soaked dry fruits, brown sugar, yogurt.
6: add oil, milk and vanilla essence.
7: fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
8: pour the batter in a greased or butter paper lined cake pan. I used two cake pans of 3.5 x 7.5 inches width.
9: bake the wine cake in a preheated oven for 200 degree celsius for about an 50 mins to 1 hour. The timing may vary depending upon your oven.
10: when the wine cake is still warm, remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack. When the cake is completely cooled, wrap the cake in an aluminium foil or cling film and allow the cake to mature for 2-3 days before serving. i served the red wine cake after 3 days.
Looking for more Eggless cakes, then do check
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ¼ cup almonds (badam)
- ¼ cup cashews (kaju)
- 5 to 6 glazed red cherries
- 1 tablespoon tutti frutti
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied orange peel
- ¼ cup golden raisins (kishmish)
- ¼ cup sultanas (optional)
- 4 to 5 halved walnuts - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar or brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon curd dissolved in 1 tablespoon water (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs - optional
preparation to make wine cake
- First chop the dates, almonds, cashews, walnuts, glazed cherries, candied orange peels, candied ginger.
- In a bowl or jar soak the chopped nuts & dry fruits as well the tutti frutti, raisins and sultanas in red wine.
- Cover & keep this bowl or jar in a cool dry place. For 3 days I kept the bowl out and then for the remaining days I kept in the fridge. Every alternate day shake the jar or stir the bowl.
making wine cake
- Sieve the all-purpose flour (maida) with salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add cinnamon powder, grated nutmeg and instant coffee. Mix well.
- Stir 1 tbsp water in 2 tbsp yogurt till smooth.
- Now add the soaked nuts & dry fruits mixture, cacao nibs, brown sugar, yogurt+water mixture, oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter in a greased or butter paper lined cake pan of 6 to 7 inches diameter.
- Bake the eggless wine cake in a preheated oven for 200-degree celsius for about 50 mins to 1 hour or till a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Keep the cake in the middle rack with both the top and bottom heating elements of the oven on.
- If the top of the cake gets to brown quickly, then cover the top with aluminium foil or butter paper.
- When the red wine cake is still warm, remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- When the cake is completely cooled, wrap the cake in an aluminium foil or cling film and allow the wine cake to mature for 2 to 3 days before serving.
- The cake can be easily kept at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- For vegan substitutions, use soy yogurt or cashew yogurt. Use soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk instead of dairy milk.
- You can also use apple juice instead of wine and soak the dry fruit for a day or two in the apple juice.
- Nutritional info is per one cake slice.