Wine cake with step by step photos. This is an easy and delicious recipe to make a moist and soft eggless wine cake.
To make this egg-free wine cake, i have used red wine (cabernet sauvignon) to soak the dry fruits. I soaked the fruits in the red wine for about 14 days. You can soak the dry fruits for a day or a couple of days.
After baking the cake, wrap the cake once its cooled. If had straightway the wine flavor is a bit strong. If you keep the cake for 2 to 3 days, the flavors become subtle & mellowed.
The red wine cake is moist, soft and tastes too good for an eggless version. I made two cake bars and gifted one to my mom. I have loosely adapted this cake recipe from the Fruit cake made with rum, that I posted earlier.
This cake can be easily veganized. I have mentioned the substitutions in the recipe details below.
How to make Wine Cake
1: First chop the dates, almonds, cashews, walnuts, glazed cherries, candied orange peels, candied ginger.
2: In a bowl or jar soak the chopped dry fruits in red wine. Cover & keep this bowl or jar in a cool dry place. For 3 days I kept the bowl out and then for the remaining days I kept in the fridge. Every alternate day shake the jar or stir the bowl.
3: The soaked dry fruits on the 14th day.
4: Sieve the all purpose flour/maida with salt, baking soda and baking powder. add cinnamon powder, grated nutmeg and instant coffee. Mix well.
5: Now add the soaked dry fruits, brown sugar, yogurt.
6: Add oil, milk and vanilla essence.
7: Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
8: Pour the batter in a greased or butter paper lined cake pan. I used two cake pans of 3.5 x 7.5 inches width.
9: Bake the cake in a preheated oven for 200 degree celsius for about an 50 mins to 1 hour. The timing may vary depending upon your oven.
10: When the wine cake is still warm, remove it from the pan and cool on a wire rack. When the cake is completely cooled, wrap the cake in an aluminium foil or cling film and allow the cake to mature for 2-3 days before serving. i served the red wine cake after 3 days.
Looking for more Eggless cakes, then do check
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashews
- 5 to 6 glazed red cherries
- 1 tablespoon tutti frutti
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied orange peel
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup sultanas (optional)
- 4 to 5 halved walnuts - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar or brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon curd dissolved in 1 tablespoon water (yogurt)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs - optional
preparation to make wine cake
- First chop the dates, almonds, cashews, walnuts, glazed cherries, candied orange peels, candied ginger.
- In a bowl or jar soak the chopped nuts & dry fruits as well the tutti frutti, raisins and sultanas in red wine.
- Cover & keep this bowl or jar in a cool dry place. For 3 days I kept the bowl out and then for the remaining days I kept in the fridge. Every alternate day shake the jar or stir the bowl.
making wine cake
- Sieve the all-purpose flour (maida) with salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add cinnamon powder, grated nutmeg and instant coffee. Mix well.
- Stir 1 tbsp water in 2 tbsp yogurt till smooth.
- Now add the soaked nuts & dry fruits mixture, cacao nibs, brown sugar, yogurt+water mixture, oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter in a greased or butter paper lined cake pan of 6 to 7 inches diameter.
- Bake the eggless wine cake in a preheated oven for 200-degree celsius for about 50 mins to 1 hour or till a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Keep the cake in the middle rack with both the top and bottom heating elements of the oven on.
- If the top of the cake gets to brown quickly, then cover the top with aluminium foil or butter paper.
- When the red wine cake is still warm, remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- When the cake is completely cooled, wrap the cake in an aluminium foil or cling film and allow the wine cake to mature for 2 to 3 days before serving.
- The cake can be easily kept at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- For vegan substitutions, use soy yogurt or cashew yogurt. Use soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk instead of dairy milk.
- You can also use apple juice instead of wine and soak the dry fruit for a day or two in the apple juice.
- Nutritional info is per one cake slice.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.