Fruit cake with step by step photos. This fruit Cake has a wonderful fragrant aroma and is light, crumbly, moist and too delicious with notes of rum in it.
This lovely fragrant spiced fruit cake is made with both whole wheat flour (atta) and all-purpose flour (maida). The recipe used a mix of dry fruits and nuts. You can use your choice of dry fruits also. For soaking the dry fruits, I have used rum. But you can also use wine. For a no alcohol version, you can use Orange juice or apple juice.
I soaked the dry fruits & nuts for 3 days at room temperature. but if you want you can soak for 12 hours or 24 hours or many days or even 6 months or even 1 year before. If using apple juice or orange juice for soaking, then keep in fridge.
I have had so many versions of the christmas fruit cakes by now and most of the ones that were gifted to us were rum or wine-based ones. This is a tried and tested eggless fruit cake recipe and gives you a delicious and moist cake.
I have also shared two more versions of fruit cakes:
- Kerala style plum cake (made with whole wheat flour, apple juice and caramel)
- Wine cake (made with red wine)
This christmas fruit cake is egg free. I have used my eggless fresh plum cake recipe to make this fruit cake with some adaptations.
For baking the cake, the times may vary from oven to oven. It took me approx 1 hour 10 minutes to bake the cake at 180 degrees celsius.
Anyways now for the step by step recipe. But before that Wishing all of you a merry christmas and a happy new year.
How to make fruit cake (eggless)
Soaking dry fruits & nuts
1: take all the dry fruits and nuts (raisins, cashews, cherries, dates, apricots) in a bowl and then rinse them very well. Drain all the water. I rinse dry fruits and nuts before using them in any dish. You can skip the step if you want. You can add your choice of dry fruits.
2: now finely chop everything. Chopping takes time. So you can use a food processor or a food chopper to chop the dry fruits and nuts.
3: take the chopped dry fruits in a bowl.
4. Now add tutti frutti and finely chopped candied orange peels.
5: pour rum.
6. mix very well and let the dry fruits soak in the rum for 24 hours or for 2 to 3 days. You can keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. If soaking for more than 3 days then keep in the fridge.
7. dry fruits after being soaked for 3 days.
Preparing spice mix for fruit cake
8: take the following whole spices. You can also add 2 cloves if you want. If you do not have all spice, then do add cloves. For nutmeg take a very tiny piece. Alternatively you can directly grate 2 to 3 pinches nutmeg in step number 13 below.
9: add the spices in a spice grinder or a small grinder jar.
10: grind to a powder. Keep aside.
11. Grease a 7 to 8.5 inches round pan very well with oil. You can also line cake pan with butter paper or parchment paper.
Making fruit cake batter
12: in a sieve, take both the whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida). Also preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius (356 degrees fahrenheit) for 20 minutes.
13: then add the ground spice powder and baking powder.
14: begin to sift. sieve all the dry ingredients in a bowl or pan.
15: now add the soaked dry fruits with the leftover rum to the sifted dry ingredients.
16: then add demerara sugar. You can also use powdered sugar or brown sugar or unrefined cane sugar instead of demerara sugar. Even coconut sugar or palm sugar can be added.
17: pour oil. Also add vanilla extract.
18: mix lightly or with light pressure from hands. But mix very well. Keep aside. Just mix lightly. Do not mix too much.
19: in the same bowl in which dry fruits were soaked, take soy milk or regular milk or any nut milk.
20: add apple cider vinegar to it. You can also use white vinegar.
21: mix again well. The milk would begin to curdle, but no issues.
22: now sprinkle 1 teaspoon baking soda all over the milk.
23: stir gently and you will see the whole mixture rising up.
24: pour this mixture into the flour+oil mixture.
25: with a spatula begin to mix again and be quick.
26: mix well.
27: pour the fruit cake batter in a greased pan.
28: shake and tap the pan so that the fruit cake batter spreads out. Level the top with a spatula.
29: I used another small pan as the batter was too much for one pan.
Baking christmas cake
30: Now bake christmas cake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius or 356 degree fahrenheit for 50 minutes to 1 hour:10 minutes or more or less as required depending on your oven. Since temperatures in the oven differs according to the size, make and litres, do keep a check. If you have used smaller pans for baking, then they will bake fast and take approx 45 mins to 1 hour.
31: after getting baked a beautiful golden browned eggless fruit cake. Insert a toothpick and it should come out clean. Keep the pan on a wired rack for it to cool completely. Then you remove the fruit cake from the pan and wrap in a cling film or store in a container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. The flavors mature over a period of time and the christmas cake tastes very good after some days. If you stay in a warm climate then keep eggless fruit cake in the fridge.
32: slice and then serve Eggless fruit cake.
More Cakes recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Fruit Cake - Christmas Cake (Eggless)
for soaking in rum
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup black raisins (seedless)
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup chopped candied orange peels or candied citrus peels
- 8 dry apricots
- 8 to 9 dates
- ¼ cup tutti frutti
- 2 tablespoons dry cherries or glazed cherries
- 1 cup rum or 1 cup fresh orange juice or apple juice
for making fruit cake batter
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour or 187 grams
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 120 grams
- 1.5 cups demerara sugar or 250 grams demerara or 250 grams brown sugar or 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup oil or melted butter, 250 ml
- 1 cup soy milk or any nut milk or dairy milk, 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or regular white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
the spice mix for cake
- 2 inches cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder, about 2 to 3 pinches of nutmeg powder
- 2 cloves - optional
soaking the dry fruits
- Firstly chop all the dry fruits and take them in a bowl or a jar. Pour rum in the bowl or jar.
- Cover and let the dry fruits soak for 12 or 24 hours.
- In between stir or shake so that all the dry fruits get soaked properly.
- In a dry grinder, grind the "whole spices" (or spice mix mentioned above in ingredients section). Keep aside.
- Prepare a loaf pan or a round cake pan by greasing it very well with oil.
- You can also line the pan with butter paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
making fruit cake batter
- Sieve the flours, baking powder and the powdered spice mix.
- Add the soaked dry fruits along with the leftover rum.
- Add oil and demerara sugar. Also add vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a bowl or mug add soy milk. Now add apple cider and stir gently.
- Add baking soda and stir. Add this frothing mixture to the cake batter.
- Stir and mix quickly but uniformly.
baking fruit cake
- Shake the pan lightly so that the cake batter is spread evenly throughout the whole pan.
- Pour in the cake pan.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 50 minutes to 70 minutes or more or less depending on your type of oven.
- Either wrap the christmas fruit cake in a cling film or store in a container.
- If the top of the cake browns quickly, then cover the top with butter paper or aluminium foil.
- Instead of soy milk you can use dairy milk or nut milk.
- Instead of oil you can use butter.
- Do add the candied peels as they really add some bitter notes to the cake which is otherwise sweet and this is what makes the christmas fruit cake different from a regular fruit cake.
- The dry fruits mixture can be soaked in orange juice instead of rum. You can also use a half half mixture of rum and wine if you want.
- If using orange juice then just soak for 1 day only and keep the bowl in the fridge. If kept outside even for 1 day in a warm climate like that of india, the orange juice will get spoilt.
- The fruit cake can also be completely made with whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida).
- Nutrition info is per slice of fruit cake.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.