eggless christmas fruit cake recipe with step by step photos – this fruit cake has a wonderful fragrant aroma and is light, crumbly, moist and too delicious with notes of rum in it.
this lovely fragrant spiced fruit cake is made with both whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida). the recipe used a mix of dry fruits and nuts. you can use your choice of dry fruits also. for soaking the dry fruits, i have used rum. but you can also use wine. for a no alcohol version, you can use orange juice or apple juice.
i soaked the dry fruits for 3 days at room temperature. but if you want you can soak for 12 hours or 24 hours or many days or even 6 months or even 1 year before. if using apple juice or orange juice for soaking, then keep in fridge.
i have had so many versions of the christmas fruit cakes by now and most of the ones that were gifted to us were rum or wine based ones. this is a tried and tested fruit cake recipe and gives you a delicious and moist cake.
i have also shared two more version of fruit cakes:
- kerala style christmas plum cake (made with whole wheat flour, apple juice and caramel)
- eggless christmas wine fruit cake recipe (made with red wine)
this christmas fruit cake recipe is egg free. i have used my eggless fresh plum cake recipe to make this fruit cake with some adaptations.
for baking the cake, the times may vary from oven to oven. it took me approx 1 hour 10 minutes to bake the cake at 180 degrees celsius.
anyways now for the step by step recipe. but before that wishing all of you a merry christmas and a happy new year.
if you are looking for more eggless cakes recipes then do check:
- eggless vanilla cake
- eggless mawa cake
- black forest cake
- choco lava cake
- eggless chocolate cake in pressure cooker.
eggless christmas fruit cake recipe below:
eggless christmas fruit cake recipe | egg free fruit cake recipe | plum cake recipe
light, moist, crumbly christmas fruit cake. eggless and vegan recipe of christmas fruit cake
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for soaking in rum:
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup black raisins (seedless)
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup chopped candied orange peels or candied citrus peels
- 8 dry apricots
- 8 to 9 dates
- ¼ cup tutti frutti
- 2 tablespoons dry cherries or glazed cherries
- 1 cup rum or 1 cup fresh orange juice or apple juice
for making cake batter:
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour (maida) or 187 grams
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta) or 120 grams
- 1.5 cups demerara sugar or brown sugar or powdered sugar or 250 grams demerara or brown sugar or 250 grams powdered sugar
- 1 cup oil or melted butter or 250 ml
- 1 cup soy milk or any nut milk or dairy milk or 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or regular vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
the spice mix:
- 2 inches cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder, about 2 to 3 pinches of nutmeg powder
- 2 cloves - optional
how to make recipe
soaking the dry fruits:
- firstly chop all the dry fruits and take them in a bowl or a jar. pour rum in the bowl or jar.
- cover and let the dry fruits soak for 12 or 24 hours.
- in between stir or shake so that all the dry fruits get soaked properly.
making christmas fruit cake recipe:
- in a dry grinder, grind the whole spices. keep aside.
prepare a loaf pan or a round cake pan by greasing it very well with oil.
you can also line the pan with butter paper.
preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- sieve the flours, baking powder and the powdered spice mix.
add the soaked dry fruits along with the leftover rum.
add oil and demerara sugar. also add vanilla extract. mix well.
- in a bowl or mug add soy milk. now add apple cider and stir gently.
- add baking soda and stir. add this frothing mixture to the cake batter.
stir and mix quickly but uniformly. pour in the cake pan.
shake the pan lightly so that the cake batter is spread evenly throughout the whole pan.
bake christmas fruit cake in the preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 50 minutes to 70 minutes or more or less depending on your type of oven.
- either wrap the christmas fruit cake in a cling film or store in a container.
tips for making christmas fruit cake recipe:
- if the top of the cake browns quickly, then cover the top with butter paper or aluminium foil.
- instead of soy milk you can use dairy milk or nut milk.
- instead of oil you can use butter.
- do add the candied peels as they really add some bitter notes to the cake which is otherwise sweet and this is what makes the christmas fruit cake different from a regular fruit cake.
- the dry fruits mixture can be soaked in orange juice instead of rum. you can also use a half half mixture of rum and wine if you want.
- if using orange juice then just soak for 1 day only and keep the bowl in the fridge. if kept outside even for 1 day in a warm climate like that of india, the orange juice will get spoilt.
- the fruit cake can also be completely made with whole wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour (maida).
how to make eggless christmas fruit cake recipe:
1: take all the dry fruits (raisins, cashews, cherries, dates, apricots) in a bowl and then rinse them very well. drain all the water. i rinse dry fruits and nuts before using them in any recipe. you can skip the step if you want. you can add your choice of dry fruits.
2: now finely chop everything. chopping takes time. so you can use a food processor or a food chopper to chop the dry fruits and nuts.
3: take the chopped dry fruits in a bowl.
4. now add tutti frutti and finely chopped candied orange peels.
5: pour rum.
6. mix very well and let the dry fruits soak in the rum for 24 hours or for 2 to 3 days. you can keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. if soaking for more than 3 days then keep in the fridge.
7. dry fruits after being soaked for 3 days.
8: take the following whole spices. you can also add 2 cloves if you want. if you do not have all spice, then do add cloves. for nutmeg take a very tiny piece. alternatively you can directly grate 2 to 3 pinches nutmeg in step number 13 below.
9: add the spices in a spice grinder or a small grinder jar.
10: grind to a powder. keep aside.
11. grease a 7 to 8.5 inches round pan very well with oil. you can also line cake pan with butter paper or parchment paper.
12: in a sieve, take both the whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida). also preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
13: then add the ground spice powder and baking powder.
14: begin to sift. sieve all the dry ingredients in a bowl or pan.
15: now add the soaked dry fruits with the leftover rum to the sifted dry ingredients.
16: then add demerara sugar ( ).
17: pour oil. also add vanilla extract.
18: mix lightly or with light pressure from hands. but mix very well. keep aside.
19: in the same bowl in which dry fruits were soaked, take soy milk or regular milk or any nut milk.
20: add apple cider vinegar to it. you can also use white vinegar.
21: mix again well. the milk would begin to curdle, but no issues.
22: now sprinkle 1 teaspoon baking soda all over the milk.
23: stir gently and you will see the whole mixture rising up.
24: pour this mixture into the flour+oil mixture.
25: with a spatula begin to mix again and be quick.
26: mix well.
27: pour the fruit cake batter in a greased pan.
28: shake and tap the pan so that the cake batter spreads out. level the top with a spatula.
29: i used another small pan as the batter was too much for one pan.
30: now bake christmas fruit cake in a preheated oven for 180 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour:10 minutes or more or less as required depending on your oven. since temperatures in the oven differs according to the size, make and litres, do keep a check. if you have used smaller pans for baking, then they will bake fast and take approx 45 mins to 1 hour.
31: after getting baked a beautiful golden browned christmas fruit cake. insert a toothpick and it should come out clean. keep the pan on a wired rack for it to cool completely. then you remove the fruit cake from the pan and wrap in a cling film or store in a container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days. the flavors mature over a period of time and the christmas fruit cake tastes very good after some days. if you stay in a warm climate then keep fruit cake in the fridge.
32: slice and then serve christmas fruit cake.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe